[NatureNS] Danube Cruise

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:51:27 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_hU3wihx2C4+zWmDYzx/5UA)

Hi Don,

Although Don & I lived for 3 yrs. in Amsterdam, we were not birders at
the time (didn't even have binocs!), unfortunately.  So I can only tell
you that we saw lots of Oystercatchers and Lapwings in the fields, as
well as many Herons which we thought were Gt. Blues, but it turns out
must have been Greys since they don't have Gt. Blues. At that time there
was a nesting colony of herons down on the waterfront not far from the
central train station.  First time we ever saw herons up in trees.  We
were always looking for storks, but never saw one.  Thought we might
have heard a Nightingale singing very beautifully at dusk once, but were
unable to track it down.
I'm sure you'll see lots of water birds.

Have a wonderful trip!
Lois

On 17/04/2016 3:26 PM, Don MacNeill wrote:
> Carol and I are going on a two week river cruise from Budapest to
> Amsterdam in June.  Have any of you done this and, if so, what birds
> could we expect to see along the way?  I am thinking of bringing along
> my scope.
>
> Dopn
> --
> Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net

--Boundary_(ID_hU3wihx2C4+zWmDYzx/5UA)

  <head>
  </head>
    Hi Don,<br>
    Although Don &amp; I lived for 3 yrs. in Amsterdam, we were not
    birders at the time (didn't even have binocs!), unfortunately.  So I
    can only tell you that we saw lots of Oystercatchers and Lapwings in
    the fields, as well as many Herons which we thought were Gt. Blues,
    but it turns out must have been Greys since they don't have Gt.
    Blues. At that time there was a nesting colony of herons down on the
    waterfront not far from the central train station.  First time we
    ever saw herons up in trees.  We were always looking for storks, but
    never saw one.  Thought we might have heard a Nightingale singing
    very beautifully at dusk once, but were unable to track it down.<br>
    I'm sure you'll see lots of water birds.<br>
    Have a wonderful trip!<br>
    Lois<br>
      wrote:<br>
        cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam in June.  Have any of you done
        this and, if so, what birds could we expect to see along the
        way?  I am thinking of bringing along my scope.<br>
        Dopn<br>
        Don MacNeill <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
          href="mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a></div>

--Boundary_(ID_hU3wihx2C4+zWmDYzx/5UA)--