[NatureNS] Danube Cruise

From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 06:22:19 -0300

--------------000506030209000206040709

Thanks Lois.  I don't know what it is about my postings.  Ken McKenna
replied suggesting I was looking for topless beaches.  He too replied to
everyone and his post was something to be embarrassed about.

There aren't too many new species I can expect to get. Of the 424 birds
seen in Hungary only 127 would be lifers.  Of these, 64 are rare or
accidental.  The remaining 63 would be spread out over various habitats
and times of year.  Our river cruise will be in a limited habitat.

Anyway, it looks like it will be fun and relaxing.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 4/23/2016 8:51 PM, Lois Codling wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> Although Don & I lived for 3 yrs. in Amsterdam, we were not birders at
> the time (didn't even have binocs!), unfortunately.  So I can only
> tell you that we saw lots of Oystercatchers and Lapwings in the
> fields, as well as many Herons which we thought were Gt. Blues, but it
> turns out must have been Greys since they don't have Gt. Blues. At
> that time there was a nesting colony of herons down on the waterfront
> not far from the central train station.  First time we ever saw herons
> up in trees.  We were always looking for storks, but never saw one.
> Thought we might have heard a Nightingale singing very beautifully at
> dusk once, but were unable to track it down.
> I'm sure you'll see lots of water birds.
>
> Have a wonderful trip!
> Lois
>
> On 17/04/2016 3:26 PM, Don MacNeill wrote:
>> Carol and I are going on a two week river cruise from Budapest to
>> Amsterdam in June.  Have any of you done this and, if so, what birds
>> could we expect to see along the way?  I am thinking of bringing
>> along my scope.
>>
>> Dopn
>> --
>> Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net

--------------000506030209000206040709

  <head>
  </head>
      postings.  Ken McKenna replied suggesting I was looking for
      topless beaches.  He too replied to everyone and his post was
      something to be embarrassed about.<br>
      There aren't too many new species I can expect to get.  </font><font
      face="Calibri">Of the 424 birds seen in Hungary only 127 would be
      lifers.  Of these, 64 are rare or accidental.  The remaining 63
      would be spread out over various habitats and times of year.  Our
      river cruise will be in a limited habitat.</font>
      Anyway, it looks like it will be fun and relaxing.<br>
      Don<br>
      Don MacNeill
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      Hi Don,<br>
      Although Don &amp; I lived for 3 yrs. in Amsterdam, we were not
      birders at the time (didn't even have binocs!), unfortunately.  So
      I can only tell you that we saw lots of Oystercatchers and
      Lapwings in the fields, as well as many Herons which we thought
      were Gt. Blues, but it turns out must have been Greys since they
      don't have Gt. Blues. At that time there was a nesting colony of
      herons down on the waterfront not far from the central train
      station.  First time we ever saw herons up in trees.  We were
      always looking for storks, but never saw one.  Thought we might
      have heard a Nightingale singing very beautifully at dusk once,
      but were unable to track it down.<br>
      I'm sure you'll see lots of water birds.<br>
      Have a wonderful trip!<br>
      Lois<br>
        wrote:<br>
          charset=utf-8">
          cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam in June.  Have any of you
          done this and, if so, what birds could we expect to see along
          the way?  I am thinking of bringing along my scope.<br>
          Dopn<br>
          Don MacNeill <a moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
            href="mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a></div>