[NatureNS] Harlequin Ducks, Brier Island

Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 18:34:50 -0300
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;div&gt;Apart from today's
--001a1137c96878c993053141d455

Thanks Eric
I've been poking around in that salt marsh habitat. Good habitat. The pools
are perched above the level of the outflow stream. I was there poking this
week but missed your snowy egret friend. The saltmarsh has two very small
very rare plants..red bulrush Blysmus rufus and Carex viridula ssp
saxi=C4=BAittoralis. I'm glad to know it may have importance as  heron/egre=
habitat. The thick thicket of alder south of the salt marsh is an odd
transition to the big meadow bog and I wonder how this will change or
whether it was always a thicket.
Rare species are useful as habitat indicators and when there are various in
a habitat it helps mark that habitat and the forces that shape it. I'm
surprised the salt marsh has survived the ditching in the bog above so
well. Suppose it means it is mainly shaped by the sea.

Nick

On Apr 24, 2016 5:03 PM, "Eric Mills" <E.Mills@dal.ca> wrote:

> Nick -
> The Snowy Egret is still present along the stream and/or in the pond
closest to Water Street, Westport - and so at the extreme northern end of
the Big Meadow. This is a place favored by vagrant southern herons. And it
is probably close to the 30th recorded from Brier. Range: from the tropics
to southern Maine. In the late '80s and early '90s, a few summered on Bon
Portage Island and there was at least one successful nesting.

> It will be good to have more pools like that one in the Big Meadow.
>
> All the best,
>
> Eric
>
> Eric L. Mills
> Lower Rose Bay
> Lunenburg Co., Nova Scotia
> Canada

there. That landscape should change radically as bird habitat. Thanks so
much for your remembrances and notes on Big Meadow Bog earlier sent. Range
of egret usually from Virginia south?
> Nick  Hill
>
> On Apr 23, 2016 7:13 PM, "Eric Mills" <E.Mills@dal.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Apart from today's Snowy Egret, which was still present actively feeding
this afternoon, the sight of the day was a group of 17 Harlequin Ducks that
Anne and I watched in Pea Jack Cove.

>> Eric L. Mills
>> Lower Rose Bay=E2=80=8E
>> Lunenburg Co., Nova Scotia
>> Canada

--001a1137c96878c993053141d455

I&#39;ve been poking around in that salt marsh habitat. Good habitat. The p=
ools are perched above the level of the outflow stream. I was there poking =
this week but missed your snowy egret friend. The saltmarsh has two very sm=
all very rare plants..red bulrush Blysmus rufus and Carex viridula ssp saxi=
=C4=BAittoralis. I&#39;m glad to know it may have importance as=C2=A0 heron=
/egret habitat. The thick thicket of alder south of the salt marsh is an od=
d transition to the big meadow bog and I wonder how this will change or whe=
ther it was always a thicket.<br>
Rare species are useful as habitat indicators and when there are various in=
 a habitat it helps mark that habitat and the forces that shape it. I&#39;m=
 surprised the salt marsh has survived the ditching in the bog above so wel=
l. Suppose it means it is mainly shaped by the sea. </p>
=3D"mailto:E.Mills@dal.ca">E.Mills@dal.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Nick -<br>
&gt; The Snowy Egret is still present along the stream and/or in the pond c=
losest to Water Street, Westport - and so at the extreme northern end of th=
e Big Meadow. This is a place favored by vagrant southern herons. And it is=
 probably close to the 30th recorded from Brier. Range: from the tropics to=
 southern Maine. In the late &#39;80s and early &#39;90s, a few summered on=
 Bon Portage Island and there was at least one successful nesting.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; It will be good to have more pools like that one in the Big Meadow.<br=

&gt;<br>
&gt; All the best,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Eric<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Eric=C2=A0L.=C2=A0Mills=C2=A0<br>
&gt; Lower=C2=A0Rose=C2=A0Bay<br>
&gt; Lunenburg=C2=A0Co.,=C2=A0Nova=C2=A0Scotia=C2=A0<br>
&gt; Canada<br>
&gt; From: Nicholas Hill<br>
&gt; Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:09<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca=
</a><br>
&gt; Reply To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto=
.ns.ca</a><br>
&gt; Cc: NSRBA<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Harlequin Ducks, Brier Island<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Is the snowy egret around South Pond on Brier? A few gull to consider =
there. That landscape should change radically as bird habitat. Thanks so mu=
ch for your remembrances and notes on Big Meadow Bog earlier sent. Range of=
 egret usually from Virginia south?<br>
&gt; Nick=C2=A0 Hill<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Apr 23, 2016 7:13 PM, &quot;Eric Mills&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
E.Mills@dal.ca">E.Mills@dal.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Apart from today&#39;s Snowy Egret, which was still present active=
ly feeding this afternoon, the sight of the day was a group of 17 Harlequin=
 Ducks that Anne and I watched in Pea Jack Cove.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Eric=C2=A0L.=C2=A0Mills=C2=A0<br>
&gt;&gt; Lower=C2=A0Rose=C2=A0Bay=E2=80=8E<br>
&gt;&gt; Lunenburg=C2=A0Co.,=C2=A0Nova=C2=A0Scotia=C2=A0<br>
&gt;&gt; Canada</p>

--001a1137c96878c993053141d455--