[NatureNS] new grouse video

From: Paul Ruggles <cpruggles@eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 16:34:26 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi all,

The grouse has remained in a small patch of grouse habitat for the past two months. I visit him about once a week and he quickly shows up - usually before I can get out of the car!  High on reproductive hormones, he puts on quite a show. Not sure of his intentions - but he appears more friendly than aggressive?? Lately he tries to fly into my face. No interest in bread crumbs from my lunches. I drive out briskly to discourage him from following the car!

I've spent a lot of my 87 years enjoying the woods in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, the Maritimes and Newfoundland, and never been treated to anything quite like this.

Although similar male grouse behaviour has been reported and filmed before, it's relatively rare.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know and video this guy.

Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN9vPZWRq8auD66f8rfEKeQ