[NatureNS] Ticks - request

From: "Hebda, Andrew J" <Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: "Ogden, Jeffrey" <Jeffrey.Ogden@novascotia.ca>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 11:19:58 +0000

Hi Dave

Have responded to several posters, but thought I would solicit from the larger group.

We are still tracking the distribution and spread of ticks in the province, and would appreciate receiving specimens, or, at the least images, with locality data.

The four most common species, based on reports, in order of occurrence (reporting) are Wood/Dog Ticks, Black-legged Ticks, Groundhog Ticks and Rabbit Ticks.  There are an additional 10 species recoded here, based on specimens, but the  remaining ones appear uncommon.

So if anyone encounters ticks (especially in novel areas), would appreciate hearing about them ..  Reports from existing areas are also welcome.

Andrew

A Hebda
NSM Collections (Zoology)