[NatureNS] Temperance St swifts return

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 12:04:40 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-297D36E7-9EDD-4DEC-971D-3685DF11CC68

Hi Ally and all
Chimney Swifts were noted at the old Temperance St school in New Glasgow las=
t night May 11.=20
I arrived at about 20:30 and noted about 60 circling the chimney. First bird=
 entered 20:36 and the largest group spiralled down the chimney at 20:43  wi=
th the last six going in a minute later.  I totalled 69 for the night. I thi=
nk this was the first night for the swifts to appear but it has been single d=
igit weather most evenings since the first of May and it is possible birds w=
ere going in much earlier than at dusk. Karen MacLeod had reported seeing a s=
wift at West River nursery on Sunday May 8. The birds seems to be late comin=
g this year as were  many of the usual early-arrival warblers.=20
It was only 8C, but calm and clear skies. The old school is under renovation=
 and being converted into apartments. So far, so good,  and the owner seems f=
avourable to the plight of the swifts who are tenants from May to August.=20=

Ally, it the a place where one can find the protocol for counts- looking for=
 wind and sky condition codes?  They are not overly visible on the link you p=
rovided. Might be in the submit report but I will have to retrieve my passwo=
rd somewhere to view that!,=20
Cheers
Ken

Sent from my iPad

> On May 12, 2016, at 10:19 AM, Ally Manthorne <amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org> wrot=
e:
>=20
> Thanks, Wayne, for your Middleton report!
>=20
> SwiftWatch is a Citizen Science monitoring and conservation program that b=
rings volunteers and community groups together to act as stewards for Chimne=
y Swifts and their habitat.
> =20
> Historically, Chimney Swifts inhabited large, hollow trees. As Europeans s=
ettled in North America, these habitats became scarce. Swifts adapted and be=
gan using chimneys for nesting and roosting.
> Chimney Swifts are once again facing complex challenges. Their Canadian po=
pulation has declined by n95% since 1968. Their habitat is being lost as bui=
ldings are modernized and chimneys are cappedey at 10:36 wi, steel-lined, or=
 torn down. Other factors, such as severe weather events and with the larges=
t number nchanges in insect abundance, are likely also affecting swifts.
> =20
> Through SwiftWatch, volunteers are filling critical information gaps and a=
ddressing key threats. Since 2010, volunteers have identified 750 active chi=
mneys in the Maritimes and Ontario. Of these, over 100 are now regularly mon=
itored. Bird Studies Canada and partner organizations are working with schoo=
ls, home owners, building managers, chimney sweeps, and townships to maintai=
n and protect these sites.
> =20
> In 2016, volunteers across Canada will be monitoring roost sites on four d=
ates: May 25, May 29, June 2 and June 6. Many volunteers will continue to mo=
nitor these sites throughout the spring and summer, and will also check othe=
r potentially suitable sites for nesting and roosting swifts.
> =20
> Volunteers are needed across Nova Scotia to monitor roosts, find new nest s=
ites and check known nest sites for Chimney Swifts. Interested volunteers sh=
ould contact the SwiftWatch coordinator, Allison Manthorne at (506) 364-5196=
 or marswifts@birdscanada.org=20
>=20
> Please visit the SwiftWatch website (
> http://www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/ai/chsw/ ) and Facebook page (
> https://www.facebook.com/Maritimes.Swifts/ ) for more information, events s=
chedule, and latest news.
>=20
> Thank you,
> =20
> Allison
> =20
> =20
> Allison Manthorne
> Coordinator  | Coordonnatrice=20
> Maritimes SwiftWatch | Suivi du Martinet dans les Maritimes
> Bird Studies Canada  | =C3=89tudes d=E2=80=99Oiseaux Canada
> PO Box | C. P. 6227
> 17 Waterfowl Lane  |  17 ruelle Waterfowl
> Sackville, NB (Nouveau-Brunswick)  E4L 1G6
> Phone | Tel : 506-364-5196 | marswifts@birdscanada.org
> http://www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/ai
> Follow us on Twitter and Facebook =20
> =20
> =20
> =20

--Apple-Mail-297D36E7-9EDD-4DEC-971D-3685DF11CC68

iv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><div>Hi Ally and a=
ll</div><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature">Chimney Swifts were noted at the old T=
emperance St school in New Glasgow last night May 11.&nbsp;</div><div id=3D"=
AppleMailSignature">I arrived at about 20:30 and noted about 60 circling the=
 chimney. First bird entered 20:36 and the largest group spiralled down the c=
himney at 20:43 &nbsp;with the last six going in a minute later. &nbsp;I tot=
alled 69 for the night. I think this was the first night for the swifts to a=
ppear but it has been single digit weather most evenings since the first of M=
ay and it is possible birds were going in much earlier than at dusk. Karen M=
acLeod had reported seeing a swift at West River nursery on Sunday May 8. Th=
e birds seems to be late coming this year as were &nbsp;many of the usual ea=
rly-arrival warblers.&nbsp;</div><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature">It was only 8=
C, but calm and clear skies. The old school is under renovation and being co=
nverted into apartments. So far, so good, &nbsp;and the owner seems favourab=
le to the plight of the swifts who are tenants from May to August.&nbsp;</di=
v><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature">Ally, it the a place where one can find the=
 protocol for counts- looking for wind and sky condition codes? &nbsp;They a=
re not overly visible on the link you provided. Might be in the submit repor=
t but I will have to retrieve my password somewhere to view that!,&nbsp;</di=
t 10:19 AM, Ally Manthorne &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org">ama=
iv>

">
/* Font Definitions */