[NatureNS] piping plovers Cape Lahave I

Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 08:48:49 -0300
From: BSC NS Piping Plovers <nsplovers@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: nancypdowd@gmail.com

--089e0122ab7485223b0532cbf95b

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for sharing the Piping Plover sighting! This is a beach that
requires boat access, so it's helpful to get sightings from folks. Piping
Plovers have nested there with mixed success over the years, but last year
the pair produced one fledgling. The female last year was banded on her
upper left leg with a grey flag coded "JE". She was banded by Environment
Canada as a chick on a small beach in Port Joli bay in Queens Co. in 2014.
I wouldn't be surprised if JE is nesting on this beach again this year. If
your brothers took any photos, I'd be very interested in looking at them to
see whether any of the plovers is banded. Our email is: nsplovers@gmail.com.

Piping Plovers are starting to lay and incubate eggs on the open dry sand
across NS, so always best practice to remain on the wet sand wherever you
see plover nesting area signs or if you see plovers in the area. We welcome
sightings and if you're interested in more info about a pair, please get in
touch anytime. We're hoping for a successful nesting season in Nova Scotia!

Thanks,
Sue Abbott

--
Bird Studies Canada
NS Piping Plover Conservation Program

<http://www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/nsplover/>

--089e0122ab7485223b0532cbf95b

he Piping Plover sighting! This is a beach that requires boat access, so it=
&#39;s helpful to get sightings from folks. Piping Plovers have nested ther=
e with mixed success over the years, but last year the pair produced one fl=
edgling. The female last year was banded on her upper left leg with a grey =
flag coded &quot;JE&quot;. She was banded by Environment Canada as a chick =
on a small beach in Port Joli bay in Queens Co. in 2014. I wouldn&#39;t be =
surprised if JE is nesting on this beach again this year. If your brothers =
took any photos, I&#39;d be very interested in looking at them to see wheth=
er any of the plovers is banded. Our email is: <a href=3D"mailto:nsplovers@=
arting to lay and incubate eggs on the open dry sand across NS, so always b=
est practice to remain on the wet sand wherever you see plover nesting area=
 signs or if you see plovers in the area. We welcome sightings and if you&#=
39;re interested in more info about a pair, please get in touch anytime. We=
&#39;re hoping for a successful nesting season in Nova Scotia!<br></div><di=
amily:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Bird Studies Canada</span><br style=3D"fo=
nt-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,helv=
etica,sans-serif">NS Piping Plover Conservation Program</span><br style=3D"=
font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><a style=3D"font-family:arial,helve=
tica,sans-serif" href=3D"http://www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/nsplover/" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/nsplover/</a><br><div class=
=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:3=
4 AM, NancyDowd <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.co=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
 solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">My brother saw Piping Plovers on =
Cape Lahave Beach, Cape Lahave Island, Lun Co yesterday. Does anyone know i=
f they have successfully nested on this island?<br>
He also reported Ruddy Turnstones, Semipalmated Sandpipers and Sanderlings.=
 He said the salt marsh behind the beach &quot;was like a Willet factory&qu=
ot;.<br>
Nancy<br>