[NatureNS] Grebe and Duck and Oriole

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 16:10:27 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c3785a72cb28053336bc1a

In addition to James' comment, I would add that Pied-billed Grebes are
either bullies or highly aggressive around a large territory. Several times
at Miners Marsh I've seen them come up under adult (!) ducks, probably
nipping them, and definitely giving them a real fright. If I recall
correctly, the ducks have generally left that area altogether. Also, these
have been "pond duck" species, not even competing with the grebes for fish.
Rick Whitman

On 18 May 2016 at 21:46, Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca> wrote:

> It was a beautiful sunny day today in Kentville and there were many people
> walking the Miners Marsh trail.
> On our walk around, the highlight was an excellent view of a male
> Baltimore Oriole in full breeding plumage.
> Earlier on a walk along the railbed, we encountered three Gray catbirds,
> flying and chasing each other.
>
> A surprising even occurred between a family of Mallards and a Pied-billed
> grebe.  We  had been watching the Grebe dive and swim. Suddenly, in the
> reeds, a female Mallard made a big ruckus and came swimming out chasing the
> Grebe.  As the Grebe swam away, I noted something tan and fuzzy in its
> beak. The Mallard mother came out and swam away with six duckling trailing
> behind.   I looked for the Grebe and it with another (perhaps young) Grebe
> and beside them, floating in the water, was a dead duckliing. The adult
> Grebe continued on swimming diving, and not interested in the duckling.
>
> I know Grebes eat insects, frogs and fish but this behaviour seems strange
> to me. Do they attack other birds?
>
> ////// === ///////
> Larry Bogan
> Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia
> <larry@bogan.ca>

--001a11c3785a72cb28053336bc1a

illed Grebes are either bullies or highly aggressive around a large territo=
ry. Several times at Miners Marsh I&#39;ve seen them come up under adult (!=
) ducks, probably nipping them, and definitely giving them a real fright. I=
f I recall correctly, the ducks have generally left that area altogether. A=
lso, these have been &quot;pond duck&quot; species, not even competing with=
"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 18 May 2016 at 21:46, Larry Bogan <span=
 dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:larry@bogan.ca" target=3D"_blank">larry@=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">It was a=
 beautiful sunny day today in Kentville and there were many people walking =
the Miners Marsh trail.<br>
On our walk around, the highlight was an excellent view of a male Baltimore=
 Oriole in full breeding plumage.<br>
Earlier on a walk along the railbed, we encountered three Gray catbirds, fl=
ying and chasing each other.<br>
A surprising even occurred between a family of Mallards and a Pied-billed g=
rebe.=C2=A0 We=C2=A0 had been watching the Grebe dive and swim. Suddenly, i=
n the reeds, a female Mallard made a big ruckus and came swimming out chasi=
ng the Grebe.=C2=A0 As the Grebe swam away, I noted something tan and fuzzy=
 in its beak. The Mallard mother came out and swam away with six duckling t=
railing behind.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I looked for the Grebe and it with another (per=
haps young) Grebe and beside them, floating in the water, was a dead duckli=
ing. The adult Grebe continued on swimming diving, and not interested in th=
e duckling.<br>
I know Grebes eat insects, frogs and fish but this behaviour seems strange =
to me. Do they attack other birds?<br>
Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia<br>
&lt;larry@bogan.ca&gt;<br>

--001a11c3785a72cb28053336bc1a--