[NatureNS] Wolfville and New Glasgow Chimney Swift counts

From: Ally Manthorne <amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org>
To: "'naturens@chebucto.ns.ca'" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>,
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 01:43:58 +0000

Hi all,

A small crowd gathered at the Robie Tufts Nature Centre tonight (May 28) to watch Chimney Swifts returning to roost.  The birds circled for quite a while before beginning to enter the roost. The first swift entered at 9pm, the bulk went in at 9:12 and the last snuck in at 9:29, barely visible and totally silent. My total was 102 and I believe Pat Kelly counted 101. Weather was chilly (13 degrees) with 90% overcast skies and a gentle breeze (Beaufort 3).

Last night (May 27) in New Glasgow Ken McKenna, myself, and others observed approximately 300 swifts entering the former Temperance Street School roost, although Ken and I were both chatting with other bystanders and didn't make an official count. Weather in New Glasgow was overcast with scattered showers, and the swifts began entering the chimney at 8:30 pm.

Next Saturday June 4 we'll be hosting a Swift Night Out in Mabou, and the following weekend, June 12, we will be in Middleton. Details to follow, or check the Maritimes SwiftWatch facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/maritimes.swifts

Thanks to the Pictou County Naturalists, Nova Scotia Bird Society, and NatureNS for helping to organize this weeekend's outings.

Ally

Allison Manthorne
Maritimes Swiftwatch Coordinator
Bird Studies Canada