[NatureNS] ticks at Round Hill

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 08:17:01 -0300

Though I am just down the road from you, Bev, and I've been pulling lots of ticks off my German Shepherd and myself. It seems I pick them up each time I go out unless I take precautions.

Last week, in my haste while at work in Keji, I didn't wear a hat, and used very little fly deterrent, since the black flies were not all that bad.  But I returned home loaded with ticks and so did my student.  We'd been walking through some thick balsam fir growth and also in riparian grasses. I knew I was asking for trouble.

I didn't encounter many dog ticks last year during the birding season, so I left my guard down this spring.  My impression is that it is a pretty good year for dog ticks in Keji, as well as at my home in Tupperville.  On the other hand, maybe I was just in some bad pockets.  My theory is that they can populate very localized places and have localized population ebbs and flows.  (Someone else may have more information on this, and let me know whether I'm off track.)  I'm glad you are enjoying a low popln pocket for a little while.

For the next few weeks, it looks like I'll return to wearing boot gators, spaying my ball cap, and dabbing a bit of Watkins cream fly deterrent where/when needed. I resent the ritual, but nature in spring is worth it. Cain is sporting his Advantix treatments again. Traditionally, I never give another thought to ticks until next spring rolls around, but all that has changed now. The black-legged tick is a sobering new reality.  This apparently means that I should continue to at least spray my pant legs with deterrent until the snow flies, I guess. James' experiences on the south shore are headed our way.  I could probably use some new advice on what the July - November 'ritual' should be for side-stepping this potentially life-altering pest.  Walking around always with pant legs stuffed in my socks doesn't make much of a fashion statement, and now it seems it may have to become one for the entire spring-summer-fall season?!!  At least Cain is vaccinated for lyme's, though I hear it's not 100% effective.  Wish I could be, too.

Donna