[NatureNS] red-breasted nuthatch numbers

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2016 10:02:10 -0300

About red-breasted nuthatches:  There seem to be fairly good numbers in Keji.  I am hearing them calling on my point counts, but without looking at the numbers from other years, I can only give an impression that they seem to be fewer than other years.

I was at Otter Ponds Demonstration Forest on June 4th (Saturday).  While a group of us stood at the reception area at the picnic tables, a red-breasted nuthatch was busily excavating a cavity in a dead snag.  It was amusing to watch it exit with wood fibres in its little beak, and then release them into the air. It was too early yet to put on the finishing touches of pitch around the cavity entrance hole.

On another note:
The regional differences in our small province, even on the mainland, are surprising.  Living in the southwest where farmers are already cutting their first crop of hay, but then seeing Indian Pear Blossoms (Amelanchier) still in bloom in Mooseland, east of Dartmouth!  It was chilly over that way for camping.

Donna