[NatureNS] red-breasted nuthatch numbers

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Full-name: Hubcove
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 10:28:57 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--part1_546de8.6213cf0b.4486e2a9_boundary

I have the usual numbers at my feeders.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

In a message dated 2016-06-06 11:21:59 A.M. Atlantic Daylight Time,
kenmcken@eastlink.ca writes:

Hi Donna  and all

First hay cuts have been done in the northern mainland as well  as noted
when I did my second BBS route (James River area in Antigonish  Co) on Sat.
morning June 4,  and a few of the bobolink fields had been  cut. Bobolinks
still have a few fields that don't get cut early so they are  still not too
difficult to find along the Northumberland Strait fields.
On  RB Nuthatches, my feeling is that they are not in really low numbers
like a  couple years ago in this area of the province. The James River route
does not  have a lot of RBNU habitat but 4-5 were found on that count.
On the  count on Sat, I had a group of begging Pine Siskins already off the
nest. I  could hear them ahead of me on one of the stops and could not
discern what was  making the chatter till I made a quick stop on the way to the
next stop to  confirm the source of the sound.  I normally get 2-3
Yellow-bellied  Flycatchers on that count but none this year and my only Olive-sided
Flycatcher was stop 50, the last stop in the Ohio (Ant) area.
I have not  done anything with my data yet so cannot provide a summary but
probably 16  species of warbler. My recollections of most common species
were Alder  Flycatcher and Northern Parula which were found on nearly every
stop.
Don't see any Indian Pear still in bloom in my back yard but it was not
that long ago they were still in bloom. Flowering crab still in bloom though.
Cheers
Ken

Ken McKenna
Plymouth, Pict Co.

Sent  from my iPad

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 10:02 AM, Donna Crossland  <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
wrote:

> About red-breasted  nuthatches:  There seem to be fairly good numbers in
Keji.  I am  hearing them calling on my point counts, but without looking at
the numbers  from other years, I can only give an impression that they seem
to be fewer  than other years.

> I was at Otter Ponds Demonstration Forest  on June 4th (Saturday).  While
a group of us stood at the reception area  at the picnic tables, a
red-breasted nuthatch was busily excavating a cavity  in a dead snag.  It was
amusing to watch it exit with wood fibres in its  little beak, and then release
them into the air. It was too early yet to put  on the finishing touches of
pitch around the cavity entrance hole.

> On another note:
> The regional differences in our small  province, even on the mainland,
are surprising.  Living in the southwest  where farmers are already cutting
their first crop of hay, but then seeing  Indian Pear Blossoms (Amelanchier)
still in bloom in Mooseland, east of  Dartmouth!  It was chilly over that way
for camping.