FW: [NatureNS] flies v2

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 16:25:42 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11475e0e7414be05352ddc40

Just a point of note, many Tabanids (horse and deer flies) do not need a
blood meal to produce the first batch of eggs. It's the second and
subsequent batches, presumably after initial stored resources are gone,
that the blood meal is required.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 13 June 2016 at 15:13, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> Very unlikely.  'Deer flies' is the well-recognized name for tabanids
> (family Tabanidae) of the large genus Chrysops, from the primitive end of
> the very large section of relatively recently evolved flies, those grouped
> as Brachycera ('short horns', referring to their relatively short
> antennae).  Like other tabanids, the females require a blood meal to
> develop their eggs, and are the ones that commonly bother you in the summer
> in wooded areas or clearings by trying to land on the back of your neck and
> 'bite' you (actually, saw into you).  The males don't do this, are seldom
> seen, and visit flowers.
>
> There are 25* or so eastern Canadian species pictured in a useful
> identification guide that I can't lay hands on at present**, and ~45
> species listed for Canada and Alaska by H. J. Teskey (1990) in a very large
> publication on Tabanidae, available as a free PDF file from a Govt of
> Canada site, but which may cause indigestion.
>
> As far as I know, none of the Chrysops around here assemble in hilltop
> swarms such as you observed.
> Steve
> **updating this, the Chrysops ID guide is available here:
> http://cjai.biologicalsurvey.ca/tm-08/chrysops15.htm
> (*indicates that there are 40 species recognized east of the Rockies, not
> 25; click on Gallery to see colour photos)

 do not need a blood meal to produce the first batch of eggs. It&#39;s the =
second and subsequent batches, presumably after initial stored resources ar=
nature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">________________________________=

 dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:srshaw@dal.ca" target=3D"_blank">srshaw@=
margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Paul,<br>
Very unlikely.=C2=A0 &#39;Deer flies&#39; is the well-recognized name for t=
abanids (family Tabanidae) of the large genus Chrysops, from the primitive =
end of the very large section of relatively recently evolved flies, those g=
rouped as Brachycera (&#39;short horns&#39;, referring to their relatively =
short antennae).=C2=A0 Like other tabanids, the females require a blood mea=
l to develop their eggs, and are the ones that commonly bother you in the s=
ummer in wooded areas or clearings by trying to land on the back of your ne=
ck and &#39;bite&#39; you (actually, saw into you).=C2=A0 The males don&#39=
;t do this, are seldom seen, and visit flowers.<br>
There are 25* or so eastern Canadian species pictured in a useful identific=
ation guide that I can&#39;t lay hands on at present**, and ~45 species lis=
ted for Canada and Alaska by H. J. Teskey (1990) in a very large publicatio=
n on Tabanidae, available as a free PDF file from a Govt of Canada site, bu=
t which may cause indigestion.<br>
As far as I know, none of the Chrysops around here assemble in hilltop swar=
ms such as you observed.<br>
Steve<br>
**updating this, the Chrysops ID guide is available here:<br>
eferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://cjai.biologicalsurvey.ca/tm-08/chrysops15=
.htm</a><br>
(*indicates that there are 40 species recognized east of the Rockies, not 2=
5; click on Gallery to see colour photos)<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens-owner@chebu=
cto.ns.ca</a> [<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens-ow=
ner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>] on behalf of Paul Ruggles [<a href=3D"mailto:cprugg=
les@eastlink.ca">cpruggles@eastlink.ca</a>]<br>