[NatureNS] Recent Spider Activity at Round Hill

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 10:56:49 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

All,

This is a good time of the year for observing spider activity.  Here
are a few observations and photos from the past couple of weeks here
at Round Hill.

Wolf Spiders:
Two days ago (June 21), I observed several female Wolf Spiders with
their young "up on top" on the stony shoreline of Round Hill Brook
which flows alongside my property.  These may be some species of
Pardosa as the legs are thin and have quite prominent spines.  I was
only able to find one female with an egg sac, so I'm thinking these
spiders are quite synchronized in their hatching times.
Here are a couple of views of females carrying their young:
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/163525046/original
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/163525047/original

Jumping Spiders:
Jumpers have been particularly active and often found with prey atop
plant leaves.  This is a female spider -- I think, Pelegrina proterva
-- with some unidentified long-legged prey which she was consuming:
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/163525058/original
My first record for the very colourful Phidippus whitmani jumping spider:
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/163525060/original

Orb-weavers:
I have found several "spider balls" of Araneus diadematus orb-weavers
in the small meadow on a sunny hillside above the brook.  They are
quite entertaining to watch as they expand and contract.  This photo
was taken while a few were venturing outward:
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/163525125/original

Long-jawed Orbweavers:
Back on May 24th, I found several Tetragnatha spiders - if anyone
knows the species, please comment.  All of them had spun long trip
lines between tall grasses in the meadow.  It was interesting to watch
them at work.  All were posed like the one in this photo -- at one end
of the trip line with a leg or two contacting a secondary line of
webbing.  At the slightest movement on the web line, they would turn
and zoom out to see what was happening -- usually a fly that had
gotten stuck to the line and soon to be captured:
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/163305868/original

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS