[NatureNS] Feeding hummingbirds

To: NatureNS <NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay135@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 09:00:45 -0300

I have been feeding hummingbirds for years, but this year, without
making any changes to my long-time routine, I have run into a problem I
have never encountered before; the hummers are coming to my feeders at
least once daily, but taking only one sip of nectar then flying away. I
am using the standard 1 part sugar to 4 parts water,  I have triple
cleaned the feeders in hot soapy water and thoroughly rinsed/dried them
;I've tried different feeders,  and gone through a lot of re-made nectar
- all to no avail. I mentioned this to a couple of neighbours who both
said I should not be using any soap to clean the feeders - just rinse
them thoroughly - so I have just done this and wait to see what happens....
But I would like to know what others think/do and also to understand
why, if the soap is the problem, why it's only happening now; and ,also
if some new ingredient is proving unacceptable to the hummers, what
subtle  effect may/could it possibly have on us......?

Comments/thoughts on this will be welcome!!

Eleanor Lindsay