[NatureNS] Barred Owl on Wolfville Ridge

From: "Judy" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 22:08:50 -0300

As many of you know Bernard Forsythe has been helping Barred Owls in our
area for years, has his own owl nesting box in his backyard, three young
were raised this year.  Most years after the young have fledged the adults
tend to bring their family to our woods or close-by - we are only about a km
west of his property. Our woods obviously offer a substantial supply of
wildlife. About a week ago I woke in the early hours to hear much owl
vocalization indicating the family were here in the trees outside my bedroom
window.  Welcome sounds.

You will be saddened to hear what happened to one of them. Yesterday
mid-morning (Tues) a visiting friend drew my attention to an unusual visitor
sitting very still on our back patio. It was a banded fledgling Barred Owl
but when it turned we could see it had a very badly broken wing with bone
protruding.  Here was this beautiful young bird with a mangled wing, quite
heartbreaking. It took a couple of hours to find rescue/help.  DNR
technicians were 'out'  but a message was left. Bernard who had been out was
finally located, came here to check the band number as he wanted to know if
it was possibly one from his backyard family.  It turned out to be the first
one he had banded at home this year. Must have been a sad moment for him.  A
few minutes later thankfully, a DNR technician arrived who, on her way to
work had heard my message and responded. She and Bernard caught the owl, and
it was taken away. I found out later it had been taken to Hope for Wildlife,
and this morning the news was not good but rather expected.

It had succumbed to its injury.

Obviously the  cause of its injury will never be known but very early the
same morning before 6:00 am I had heard a great racket of crow calling which
led me to think at the time the crows sounded as if they were
'mobbing'/harassing an owl they had found in our trees. This makes me wonder
if this young owl was the object of their scorn and it possibly panicked or
tried to evade them and ended up crashing into a large tree limb, breaking
its wing.  I am still amazed that it should have turned up on our patio, was
it seeking refuge away from the woods...

Judy Tufts

 Judy Tufts

Wolfville NS

<<<<<<<<<