[NatureNS] Grosbeaks & Woodpeckers

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 18:45:08 -0200

--_94753f4a-e551-4164-be8e-22e01fa703c6_

It is normal for us to have one & often two pairs of Rose-breasted Grosbeak=
s at our feeders. This year we have one pair but they have been very produc=
tive. Last summer the seemingly one young=2C a male=2C was fed by the adult=
 male for long periods. This summer two young females showed up=2C fed by t=
he female adult=2C then a young male=2C also fed by the female adult=2C the=
n a second young male which has only appeared once. The adult male feeds he=
re but does not appear to feed any of the young. This species is said to ha=
ve a normal max of 4 young so they've did quite well. Males normally feed t=
he young while the female builds another nest. So apparently no second nest=
ing this summer.

Woodpeckers are more confusing. We have three Downy young & one ratty-looki=
ng female. Usually the adult female feeds the young but sometimes the young=
 will feed her! One day she is feeding them=2C the next day she attempts to=
 dive away any young at any of the feeders. One has a neat approach to thun=
derstorms=2C thus:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58321572@N00/28658228305/in/datetaken-public/

There are several Hairy Woodpeckers & they seem to be equally dense. They c=
hoose to get suet from the suet cakes by drilling  a hole through the plast=
ic!! All the other birds have no problem finding the open side.

Angus
 		 	   		  =

--_94753f4a-e551-4164-be8e-22e01fa703c6_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
&amp=3B often two pairs of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at our feeders. This yea=
r we have one pair but they have been very productive. Last summer the seem=
ingly one young=2C a male=2C was fed by the adult male for long periods. Th=
is summer two young females showed up=2C fed by the female adult=2C then a =
young male=2C also fed by the female adult=2C then a second young male whic=
h has only appeared once. The adult male feeds here but does not appear to =
feed any of the young. This species is said to have a normal max of 4 young=
 so they've did quite well. Males normally feed the young while the female =
builds another nest. So apparently no second nesting this summer.<br><br>Wo=
odpeckers are more confusing. We have three Downy young &amp=3B one ratty-l=
ooking female. Usually the adult female feeds the young but sometimes the y=
oung will feed her! One day she is feeding them=2C the next day she attempt=
s to dive away any young at any of the feeders. One has a neat approach to =
thunderstorms=2C thus:<br><br><a href=3D"https://www.flickr.com/photos/5832=
1572@N00/28658228305/in/datetaken-public/" target=3D"_blank">https://www.fl=
ere are several Hairy Woodpeckers &amp=3B they seem to be equally dense. Th=
ey choose to get suet from the suet cakes by drilling&nbsp=3B a hole throug=