[NatureNS] Giant Slug

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 21:17:58 -0300

&lt;div class=3D"gmail_signature"&gt;
--------------13877CE5541F4D8D125B0A1E

Hi Andrew.  I have seen them in my backyard in Halifax, near the Halifax
Shopping Centre

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 8/1/2016 6:22 PM, Hebda, Andrew J wrote:
> It was introduced to Halifax in the late 930s, but was restricted to the S end of town until about 10 years back, when it appears to have been moved around with bedding plants..
>
> That is the first reports from Brier Island.
>
> Have reports from Wolfville, New Glasgow and Sydney  (as well as a handful throughout HRM.
>
> Has anyone else encountered them?
>
> Andrew

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
        in Halifax, near the Halifax Shopping Centre</font></p>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:BB70A87CFE8B8B4597E5A9D5EDDAB6FB925C377E@AS446.prov.gov.ns.ca"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">
It was introduced to Halifax in the late 930s, but was restricted to the S end of town until about 10 years back, when it appears to have been moved around with bedding plants..

That is the first reports from Brier Island.

Have reports from Wolfville, New Glasgow and Sydney  (as well as a handful throughout HRM.

Has anyone else encountered them?

Andrew

I found what I believed to be a Giant Slug, Limax maximus, on the Northern Point of Brier Island today. I have never seen this species in Nova Scotia before today. Does anyone know its status in the Province?
I posted a photo at https://www.flickr.com/photos/92521211@N05/28706383465/in/dateposted-public/.
It was about 15-20 cm in length before it started to curl up when I was taking the photo.
Thank you,
John

</pre>

--------------13877CE5541F4D8D125B0A1E--