[NatureNS] Other Late nesting birds in southwest

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2016 09:58:17 -0300

Your email reminded me of another bird of the flycatcher group that I heard
on Tuesday August 2nd, an Alder Flycatcher singing consistently from one
spot along the Mersey River inside the park in the Orde Stillwater.  I
presume its nesting by the frequency of its song and consistency in one
place.

Chimney swifts are typically late nesters, as we know.  My mother's barn
hayloft is host this year to 5 large juvenile chimney swifts, all appearing
ready to fledge and clinging to the barn wall.  It's nice to see maximum
clutch size.  Yet in another barn hayloft in Cherryfield, the swifts are not
nearly as advanced, possibly due to the parents taking out time to build a
brand new nest this year.  I saw 7 swifts flying over head in Tupperville on
August 7th, they returned overhead a couple of times that evening.  There is
a local nest here somewhere in Tupperville.  I thought I found it last
Sunday, but now realize it might have been starlings (?) flying in a chimney
at dusk instead of swifts.  I know that's embarrassing to mention, but I'll
need to return and take a closer look.  (Still a Rookie!)

I had an active nest of Yellow-bellied sapsuckers near Grafton Lake in Keji
this year, the parents bringing food in the first days of July. (The date is
in my notes at work.)  Those sapsuckers you mention appear to be extremely
tardy.  Lots of tasty insects right now, though.  It would seem to be still
a good time to nest.

I am glad that nesting is pretty well over.  Those forest fires in Keji
yesterday were burning very hot and deep.  It was a very long day on the
fire lines.

Donna