[NatureNS] Nocturnal Migration for the 1st Week of August

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 19:45:37 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1142c2362d61ca0539972f9f

It's the Japanese walnut. Trees sourced within Canada are perfectly hardy
in the Annapolis Valley. The nuts are way too hard to open.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_ailantifolia

RW

On 8 August 2016 at 19:14, NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> showed only light activity but with evidence of bird migration on most
> nights when there was no rain. This, and previous reports, are posted at:
> http://www.johnfkearney.com/Carleton_YarmouthCounty_2016.html.
> >
> > John
> >

> > Estimated
> >
> > Call
> >
> > Minimum
> >
> > Species
> >
> > Count
> >
> > Individuals*
> >
> > American Redstart
> >
> > 69
> >
> > 45
> >
> > Black-and-White Warbler
> >
> > 45
> >
> > 32
> >
> > Yellow Warbler
> >
> > 34
> >
> > 28
> >
> > Unidentified Warbler
> >
> > 18
> >
> > 15
> >
> > Chestnut-sided Warbler
> >
> > 13
> >
> > 10
> >
> > Magnolia Warbler
> >
> > 10
> >
> > 9
> >
> > Northern Parula
> >
> > 10
> >
> > 7
> >
> > Blackburnian Warbler
> >
> > 9
> >
> > 8
> >
> > Black-throated Blue Warbler
> >
> > 9
> >
> > 7
> >
> > Unidentified Warbler Genus Setophaga
> >
> > 7
> >
> > 6
> >
> > Tennessee Warbler
> >
> > 6
> >
> > 4
> >
> > Canada Warbler
> >
> > 3
> >
> > 3
> >
> > White-throated Sparrow
> >
> > 3
> >
> > 3
> >
> > Bay-breasted Warbler
> >
> > 1
> >
> > 1
> >
> > Black-throated Green Warbler
> >
> > 1
> >
> > 1
> >
> > Cape May Warbler
> >
> > 1
> >
> > 1
> >
> > Northern Waterthrush
> >
> > 1
> >
> > 1
> >
> > Total
> >
> > 240
> >
> > 181
> >

> > * Calls that are more than one minute apart plus calls that are less
> than one minute apart divided by three and rounded up to nearest whole
> number
> >

> > --------------------
> >
> > John F. Kearney
> >
> > 120 White=E2=80=99s River Road
> >
> > Carleton, Nova Scotia
> >
> > CANADA  B5A 5R2

--001a1142c2362d61ca0539972f9f

are perfectly hardy in the Annapolis Valley. The nuts are way too hard to o=
lantifolia">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_ailantifolia</a><br></div=
s=3D"gmail_quote">On 8 August 2016 at 19:14, NancyDowd <span dir=3D"ltr">&l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nancypdowd@gmai=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">What is a &qu=
ot;heartnut&quot; tree?<br>
Nancy<br>
On 2016-08-08, at 6:36 PM, Rick Whitman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dendroica.cae=
rulescens@gmail.com">dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.<wbr>com</a>&gt; wrote:<b=
r>
&gt; Hi John,<br>
&gt; I have 14 butternut &amp; heartnut trees that are severely skeletonize=
d each year in July. I had mixed warbler feeding groups in these trees each=
 day roughly July 29-Aug 4. I have eBird reports in for those two dates tha=
t include all of your top 7 species, plus Black-throated Green and Nashvill=
e. I felt the majority of these birds, more than half juveniles, were migra=
nts, altho several also nest locally. I felt they were migrants because the=
y were all there together, especially each morning.<br>
&gt; Rick Whitman<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 8 August 2016 at 12:20, John Kearney &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:john.kea=
rney@ns.sympatico.ca">john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi All,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The rate of nocturnal movements of warblers at Carleton, Yarmouth Coun=