[NatureNS] Juv Black Tern Powell Pt PP + Chimney Swift update

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 21:47:07 -0300
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>,

Hi all
Mark and Lucy Brennan discovered a juvenile Black Tern at Powell Pt PP this evening.  It was seen flying between James Beach and the tip of Powell Pt and also resting on the shore of Bowen I. It was still present when I left just after 8:00 tonight.

Nice grouping of shorebirds at the outflow of the NS Power plant in Trenton although  it was a little bit of low light when I got there this evening but about 90 Dowichers, over 50 Lesser Yellowlegs and over 250 peeps with a mixture of Semipalmated plovers and Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers.  In the last week I have also seen Willet, Greater Yellowlegs, Ruddy Turnstone, Black -bellied Plover, Killdeer and Spotted Sandpiper here.

At the old Temperance St school tonight, 121 Chimney Swifts entered the chimney between 20:51-20:56. Numbers have fallen quickly in the last few days from the 377 July 28. After mid-August few if any will be using the chimney till next May.
Cheers
Ken

Sent from my iPad