[NatureNS] Brier Island

From: Paul Murray <murraypaul@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 23:15:47 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--94eb2c05ae5815cbcc0539c2588d

Just completed a 3 day trip to Brier Island for a whale watching trip on
the 8th.  The whale watching was excellent but not much bird activity that
I could see in the areas we looked for whales.  Only notable for me
was a *Sooty
Shearwater*. * Greater Shearwaters* were few and far between and the
*Phalaropes* were very distant and not identifiable by me.  However upon
checking my photos, there were a couple of small groups of maybe 20 or 30
birds feeding in the distance - still not confident in ID though.  There
were also a number of *Northern Gannets* diving in the distance.

On land, similar experience with passerines.  Shorebirds around Pond Cove
beach and Big Pond were limited due to extreme low tide when I was there -
birds mostly too far away at water's edge for me to see.  There were two
flocks of about 40 - 50 peeps wheeling between the beach and Big Pond
shoreline though.  They were a mixed batch of *SP Sandpipers, SP Plovers
and Least Sandpipers*.  A half dozen or so *Yellowlegs* were feeding in the
seaweed on the rocks that would be underwater at high tide.

At Big Pond there was *1 Great Blue Heron* and *7+ Northern Harriers* were
hunting the area.  I got one photo of a Harrier and a Heron in the same
frame - see photo gallery.  It was an interesting situation I will probably
never see again!

On the road from Western Light, there was a small flock of maybe 12+ Cedar
Waxwings.

For those who may be interested, I added a few photos of above and some
whale tails to my gallery at:

https://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2016/n-HJQ8Xg

Still sorting through my pictures so may have more to add later.

Paul Murray
Dartmouth

--94eb2c05ae5815cbcc0539c2588d

tching trip on the 8th.=C2=A0 The whale watching was excellent but not much=
 bird activity that I could see in the areas we looked for whales.=C2=A0 On=
 and not identifiable by me.=C2=A0 However upon checking my photos, there w=
ere a couple of small groups of maybe 20 or 30 birds feeding in the distanc=
e - still not confident in ID though.=C2=A0 There were also a number of <b>=
milar experience with passerines.=C2=A0 Shorebirds around Pond Cove beach a=
nd Big Pond were limited due to extreme low tide when I was there - birds m=
ostly too far away at water&#39;s edge for me to see.=C2=A0 There were two =
flocks of about 40 - 50 peeps wheeling between the beach and Big Pond shore=
line though.=C2=A0 They were a mixed batch of <b>SP Sandpipers, SP Plovers =
eeding in the seaweed on the rocks that would be underwater at high tide.</=
 <b>7+ Northern Harriers</b> were hunting the area.=C2=A0 I got one photo o=
f a Harrier and a Heron in the same frame - see photo gallery.=C2=A0 It was=
div><div>On the road from Western Light, there was a small flock of maybe 1=
, I added a few photos of above and some whale tails to my gallery at:=C2=
ure/Nature-2016/n-HJQ8Xg">https://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-201=

--94eb2c05ae5815cbcc0539c2588d--