[NatureNS] Question re mosquitoes, the Zika issue, etc.

From: N Robinson <nrobbyn@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:03:58 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1140f25c1f5193053a5e15cb

Hello all,

I would appreciate receiving educated opinions on the usefulness (or not)
of the mosquito.  I have on record a biologist who says the world would not
miss them if they were eradicated.  Now I have found a recent children's
book called *Bloodsuckers*, which says we need them.  I am sure they serve
a purpose, if only to provide an easy and abundant prey for a lot of very
hungry birds.

I have learned to question media reports on things like the Zika virus and
birth defects - it is making a good excuse for introducing the new Oxitec
GM mosquito, with Bill Gates funding behind it - what better venue than the
Olympics to roll out that product!

FYI *World Mosquito Day* is coming up on August 20.  It is celebrated in
Great Britain to mark the discovery of the connection of the mosquito to
malaria.

I have no specialized knowledge in any science, but would like to send a
balanced reply to an article in the *Montreal Gazette* by a doctor who is
extolling the potential benefits of the new GM mosquito and who seems to be
accepting the media reports of the connection of the Zika virus to "birth
defects".  These turn out to be microencephaly and another very rare
disorder which passses;  the connection so far is based on one
correlational study.

Any and all opinions welcome!  Don't worry, I will not quote you without
your permission.

Nancy

--
Nancy Robinson
novascotiavacation.weebly.com

--001a1140f25c1f5193053a5e15cb

ed opinions on the usefulness (or not) of the mosquito.=C2=A0 I have on rec=
ord a biologist who says the world would not miss them if they were eradica=
ted.=C2=A0 Now I have found a recent children&#39;s book called <i>Bloodsuc=
kers</i>, which says we need them.=C2=A0 I am sure they serve a purpose, if=
 only to provide an easy and abundant prey for a lot of very hungry birds.<=
br><br>I have learned to question media reports on things like the Zika vir=
us and birth defects - it is making a good excuse for introducing the new O=
xitec GM mosquito, with Bill Gates funding behind it - what better venue th=
/b> is coming up on August 20.=C2=A0 It is celebrated in Great Britain to m=
ark the discovery of the connection of the mosquito to malaria.=C2=A0 <br><=
d like to send a balanced reply to an article in the <i>Montreal Gazette</i=
> by a doctor who is extolling the potential benefits of the new GM mosquit=
o and who seems to be accepting the media reports of the connection of the =
Zika virus to &quot;birth defects&quot;.=C2=A0 These turn out to be microen=
cephaly and another very rare disorder which passses;=C2=A0 the connection =
so far is based on one correlational study. <br><br>Any and all opinions we=
lcome!=C2=A0 Don&#39;t worry, I will not quote you without your permission.=
ttp://www.twinski.com" target=3D"_blank">www.twinski.com</a><br>514-605-718=

--001a1140f25c1f5193053a5e15cb--