[NatureNS] Butterfly numbers

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 14:48:16 -0300
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Peter et al
  Yes, I feel that there have been fewer butterflies this summer. Our field used to hold lots of skippers and Wood Nymphs and there were sparse this year.  The mission-monarch blitz last weekend looked for Monarch evidence and found some few and far between.

  The last rain has seemed to sparked butterflies. Since then I have seen two Viceroys, a White Admiral, and lots of Cabbage whites and sulphurs.

  We hope to increase the Monarch population. The protection and raising from eggs and larvae is at the release stage. So far we have released 26 adult Monarchs and have quite a few to go. We hope to be up near 80 this year. All this from two females and a male in our field during July.  Some of the ones we released have stayed around and twice in the last few days, we saw a pair coupled.  No eggs found yet.

Larry

Larry Bogan
Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia
<larry@bogan.ca>