[NatureNS] Butterfly numbers

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 02:55:23 +0000

--_000_959570384B0C4EDDAC5C57DC3439ECFDdalca_

I was on the lower part of the drumlin in the Mt Uniacke House grounds for =
about an hour in mid-afternoon with a net, looking for flies (not many).  I=
n hot sunny conditions I saw only one butterfly in that time, a common wood=
-nymph; also two dragonflies, the small red meadow hawks like those I used =
to catch in Cape Cod, Sympetrum sp there.
The only insects that were common were a small bumble bee, in hundreds ever=
ywhere on goldenrod and asters, and a fair number of Virginia Ctenuca moths=
.  The small creek there has dried up completely.
Steve (Hfx)

On Aug 25, 2016, at 3:02 PM, Ron Wilson <solidago123@gmail.com<mailto:solid=