[NatureNS] migrating Black-and-whites Warblers

From: "Judy" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 20:31:38 -0300

Friday noon I was suddenly surprised to see a substantial (30-40?) mixed
flock of warblers suddenly stream into our Ridge Rd back garden, arriving in
continuous small groups of 4-6 birds.  They hurriedly flitted through, and
under, shrubs and young trees in our garden beds looking for insects and
were gone within minutes heading in a south-westerly direction. I noticed
many were Black-and-white Warblers, there was at least one N Parula, and
occasionally flashes of yellow indicating other species also traveling
within this group of migrants. Sightings like this never cease to make me
stand in awe of avian migration.

Have others noted their Ruby-throated Hummingbirds having very poor breeding
success this year?  Although we had at least three females and two males, it
was sad to see only two offspring were raised - first time in my records
that a breeding season has been such a failure.

 Cheers,

Judy Tufts

 Judy Tufts

Wolfville NS