[NatureNS] video of wonderful wetlands in the middle of Montreal! - and a

From: N Robinson <nrobbyn@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 23:15:42 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a114762fe5acc85053bf59b27

Hello all,

Birds do not recognize our boundaries, so I thought Nova Scotians might be
interested in knowing about this wonderful site next to the Montreal
international airport (Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport) -  great video;
however the titles are in French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPHZnrz4jXNU

If the link does not work, it is on Youtube and is called:  *la faune du
Technoparc de montr=C3=A9al *

If you are interested in "the rest of the story", keep reading.  (I
apologize if this is not an appropriate use of this LISTSERV.)

These wetlands developed all on their own in an area designated as a
Technoparc - which never took off (Nortel was one of the major players).
Montreal birders just discovered this rich area last year and they have
even found an endangered species, the Least Bittern (petit blongios) there
this summer.  It has become an e-Bird hot spot.  I am trying to get some
botanists to do an inventory of the plant life there too.

Now that the birds and animals (there are even some coyotes!) are well
established and we have a wonderland of nature, the Technoparc owners have
decided to renew development and are going to build right on the wetlands!
The City of Montreal and the Province of Quebec have given permits for
this, including draining of the swamp and pond for "eco-friendly" companies
and the touted =C3=89co-Campus Hubert Reeves.  Bird Protection Quebec and
Regroupement Qu=C3=A9becOiseaux convinced the Technoparc people and the May=
or of
the borough of St-Laurent (where the Technoparc is) to wait until the
nesting season was over.

Needless to say, a group has formed (including the Sierra Club) to protest
the development and there is a petition on-line, if anyone of you would
like to help us out.  The petition is on the site Change.org. It is called:
*Sauvons tous les milieux humides du Technoparc et les oiseaux qui y
vivent.*

BTW, when I am not in Montreal, I am in Bear River, N.S.  Let me know if
any of you is coming to Montreal.  I am not an expert birder but I know
some who are and Bird Protection Quebec has excursions every Saturday, plus
a few extras depending on the season.

Thanks for "listening".

Nancy Robinson

--001a114762fe5acc85053bf59b27

ds do not recognize our boundaries, so I thought Nova Scotians might be int=
erested in knowing about this wonderful site next to the Montreal internati=
onal airport (Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport) -=C2=A0 great video; however =
the titles are in French.=C2=A0 <br><br><a href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/=
watch?v=3DPHZnrz4jXNU">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPHZnrz4jXNU</a><br=
=3D"la faune du Technoparc de montr=C3=A9al" dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail-wat=
ch-title" id=3D"eow-title">la faune du Technoparc de montr=C3=A9al
in &quot;the rest of the story&quot;, keep reading.=C2=A0 (I apologize if t=
ese wetlands developed all on their own in an area designated as a Technopa=
rc - which never took off (Nortel was one of the major players).=C2=A0 Mont=
real birders just discovered this rich area last year and they have even fo=
und an endangered species, the Least Bittern (petit blongios) there this su=
mmer.=C2=A0 It has become an e-Bird hot spot.=C2=A0 I am trying to get some=
 botanists to do an inventory of the plant life there too.<br><br>Now that =
the birds and animals (there are even some coyotes!) are well established a=
nd we have a wonderland of nature, the Technoparc owners have decided to re=
new development and are going to build right on the wetlands!=C2=A0 The Cit=
y of Montreal and the Province of Quebec have given permits for this, inclu=
ding draining of the swamp and pond for &quot;eco-friendly&quot; companies =
and the touted =C3=89co-Campus Hubert Reeves.=C2=A0 Bird Protection Quebec =
and Regroupement Qu=C3=A9becOiseaux convinced the Technoparc people and the=
 Mayor of the borough of St-Laurent (where the Technoparc is) to wait until=
med (including the Sierra Club) to protest the development and there is a p=
etition on-line, if anyone of you would like to help us out.=C2=A0 The peti=
tion is on the site Change.org. It is called:<font size=3D"4"><span style=
=3D"font-weight:normal">=C2=A0 <font size=3D"2"><i>Sauvons tous les milieux=
 zones humides du Technoparc est enfin en ligne http://goo.gl/PbvDdD ."> </=
r, N.S.=C2=A0 Let me know if any of you is coming to Montreal.=C2=A0 I am n=
ot an expert birder but I know some who are and Bird Protection Quebec has =
excursions every Saturday, plus a few extras depending on the season.<br><b=

--001a114762fe5acc85053bf59b27--