[NatureNS] Pacific Golden-Plover on Brier I., September 5

From: Eric Mills <E.Mills@Dal.Ca>
To: "ns-rba@yahoogroups.com" <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:36:07 +0000

--_000_BN6PR03MB2481D97C98913C98727B843783F70BN6PR03MB2481namp_

I have been debating since the sighting if an observation by one observer w=
ithout photographs, documented only by field notes, of a bird seen once and=
 not re-found, was worth publicizing. Recent events made me decide to prese=
nt what I have.

In short, I found a juvenile Pacific Golden-Plover with American Golden-Plo=
vers in Pond Cove, Brier Island, on the afternoon high tide of September 5.=
 Here are extracts from my field notes, with clarifications in brackets.

"About 1500, spotted a very pale and buffy juvenile Golden-Plover with two =
molting adult American Golden-Plovers on the spit between  the large and sm=
all Pond Coves [range was 50-75 m and I scoped it for nearly an hour]. I wa=
s struck initially by its warm buff coloration and the lack of contrast on =
its buffy-yellow face and breast [bill-on, there was a very conspicuous whi=
tish area around the base of the bill]. Checked that it was not a Buff-brea=
st! It was capped, but not markedly so, with fine yellowish streaks in a da=
rker

matrix, brown and not gray. The ear-spot was conspicuous and nearly double.=
 Breast band was sharply demarcated at the bottom and was made up of light =
brown vertical streaks in a buff background. The back was spotted with many=
 widely-distributed yellowish spots in a brown but not particularly dark ma=
trix. The legs appeared long [but the bird never came very close to the two=
 Americans for a comparison]. I tried to count exposed primaries beyond ter=
tials and and sometimes came up with three, then four - so uncertain of thi=
s [the exposed primaries were of slightly different length on the two sides=
, perhaps due to uncomplete feather growth]. OVERALL - warm buff coloration=
 esp. on sides of head and including cap and breast . Eye striking [appeare=
d large] in pale buff background. Sharply demarcated breast band, pale brow=
n in buff background. Buff-yellow extending to belly and beyond. Total lack=
 of distinctly capped appearance and of any gray or dark, contrasty colorat=
ion."

I noted at the time the close resemblance of this bird to the juvenile Paci=
fic Golden-Plovers shown in O'Brien et al.'s Shorebird Guide, pp. 40-41, fi=
gs 1 and 2.

The birds moved out of sight after a while, and all along had been in an in=
accessible location that could not be approached more closely. I did not se=
e any of the group in flight and did not hear any calls. Photos would have =
been possible with a good long lens, but I don't  have one. I returned the =
next morning and nearby found two adult and two juvenile American Golden-Pl=
overs but not the bird I wanted. The contrast between the juvenile American=
s and the buffy juvenile of the day before was striking.

Since then, Dennis Garratt reported a juvenile Pacific Golden-Plover, with =
photographs, in Cow Bay, HRM, on September 17. The bird I saw was identical=
 to his in all details {except that mine did not fly, and had a slightly mo=
re distinct breast band - otherwise twins). My only previous experience wit=
h this species was in Alaska (adults) and Southern California (a juvenile).=
 There are records from this side of the continent from Newfoundland and Ve=
rmont to Delaware, also rumours of sightings from this field season on the =
US East Coast (fide Ian McLaren), but none ever until now in Nova Scotia.

--_000_BN6PR03MB2481D97C98913C98727B843783F70BN6PR03MB2481namp_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
r without photographs, documented only by field notes, of a bird seen once =
and not re-found, was worth publicizing. Recent events made me decide to pr=
esent what I have.
Plovers in Pond Cove, Brier Island, on the afternoon high tide of September=
 5. Here are extracts from my field notes, with clarifications in brackets.=
ith two molting adult American Golden-Plovers on the spit between&nbsp; the=
 large and small Pond Coves [range was 50-75 m and I scoped it for nearly a=
n hour]. I was struck initially by its warm
 buff coloration and the lack of contrast on its buffy-yellow face and brea=
st [bill-on, there was a very conspicuous whitish area around the base of t=
he bill]. Checked that it was not a Buff-breast! It was capped, but not mar=
kedly so, with fine yellowish streaks
 in a darker</p>
[...]
and of any gray or dark, contrasty coloration.&quot;</p>
acific Golden-Plovers shown in O'Brien et al.'s
 inaccessible location that could not be approached more closely. I did not=
 see any of the group in flight and did not hear any calls. Photos would ha=
ve been possible with a good long
 lens, but I don't&nbsp; have one. I returned the next morning and nearby f=
ound two adult and two juvenile American Golden-Plovers but not the bird I =
wanted. The contrast between the juvenile Americans and the buffy juvenile =
of the day before was striking.</p>
th photographs, in Cow Bay, HRM, on September 17. The bird I saw was identi=
cal to his in all details {except that mine did not fly, and had a slightly=
 more distinct breast band - otherwise
 twins). My only previous experience with this species was in Alaska (adult=
s) and Southern California (a juvenile). There are records from this side o=
f the continent from Newfoundland and Vermont to Delaware, also rumours of =
sightings from this field season
 on the US East Coast (fide Ian McLaren), but none ever until now in Nova S=
cotia.<br>

--_000_BN6PR03MB2481D97C98913C98727B843783F70BN6PR03MB2481namp_--