[NatureNS] White Underwings-Catocala relicta out now

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 19:59:27 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

These large moths (40+mm long) have been active at the lights during these past few cold evenings. They are hard to miss with their bold black and white pattern and black underwings (just visible in the photo):
https://500px.com/photo/176326683/catocala-relicta-white-underwing-by-nancy?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=17371857

I always see them in early October during a cold snap. At the moment they are the only moths I have at my lights. Worth keeping an eye out for. They tend to remain in a prominent place against the side of the house all day so are easily seen.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co