[NatureNS] A new insect ORDER for me.

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 20:36:02 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e013d0b4eb71cd8053e9f58d5

I've been dabbling in insects for the better part of 20 years. This year, I
ran two Lindgren Funnels
<http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/Images/insects/funneltrapthumb.JPG>
(unbaited) and one large Malaise trap
<http://johnwhock.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/3012.jpg> in my woods for
several weeks. I caught insects new to me (the very bumble-bee-like Bot Fly
ranked very high on my "cool" rating), but at least I could identify them
to Order (within insects, an O*rder *is a big group of insects sharing
similar characters, e.g. true flies, beetles, fleas). I also caught many
which I've seen routinely.

I caught three insects which, without the aid of my microscope, looked like
odd Caddisflies (another Order of insects), yet when I put them under the
scope, they didn't show the classic hairy wings (Trichoptera means "hairy
wings") diagnostic of that group. I seem to have misplaced my Borror,
Triplehorn and Johnson (a standard text for entomology), so I went to an online
key
<https://www.amnh.org/learn/biodiversity_counts/ident_help/Text_Keys/arthropod_keyA.htm>
and
found my critters to be Psocopterans
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psocoptera>(Booklice/Barklice [not true
lice]), more commonly found in libraries, where they feed on book binding
paste.

All three were caught mid August, mixed woods, in the Lindgren Funnels.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--089e013d0b4eb71cd8053e9f58d5

0 years. This year, I ran two <a href=3D"http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspe=
st/Images/insects/funneltrapthumb.JPG">Lindgren Funnels</a> (unbaited) and =
one large <a href=3D"http://johnwhock.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/3012.j=
pg">Malaise trap</a>=C2=A0in my woods for several weeks. I caught insects n=
ew to me (the very bumble-bee-like Bot Fly ranked very high on my &quot;coo=
l&quot; rating), but at least I could identify them to Order (within insect=
s, an O<i>rder </i>is a big group of insects sharing similar characters, e.=
g. true flies, beetles, fleas). I also caught many which I&#39;ve seen rout=
my microscope, looked like odd Caddisflies (another Order of insects), yet =
when I put them under the scope, they didn&#39;t show the classic hairy win=
gs (Trichoptera means &quot;hairy wings&quot;) diagnostic of that group. I =
seem to have misplaced my Borror, Triplehorn and Johnson (a standard text f=
or entomology), so I went to an <a href=3D"https://www.amnh.org/learn/biodi=
versity_counts/ident_help/Text_Keys/arthropod_keyA.htm">online key</a>=C2=
=A0and found my critters to be <a href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pso=
coptera">Psocopterans </a>(Booklice/Barklice [not true lice]), more commonl=
y found in libraries, where they feed on book binding paste.=C2=A0</div><di=
ss=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">_________________=
 NS.</div></div>

--089e013d0b4eb71cd8053e9f58d5--