[NatureNS] Birds Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 21:47:19 +0000

--_000_BN6PR11MB1441AEE1B6767D1B5CBC4B9AB5D10BN6PR11MB1441namp_

A slow day of birding today with only 27 species.  I made a run down to Wes=
tern Head and back through Liverpool, Brooklyn, to Beach Meadows, and back =
through West Berlin and then home to LaHave.  The highlight was the numbers=
 of gannets passing by Western Head.  I didn't stay long, but there were be=
tween 30-40 northern gannets passing by at every five minute interval.  The=
re were very few migrants down around Western Head.  The only warbler speci=
es I found was yellow-rumped and their numbers were few.  I did find 10 yel=
low-rumped warblers at Beach Meadows and there were three shorebird species=
 there including black-bellied plover, lesser yellowlegs and greater yellow=
legs.  When passing back through Broad Cove I hit paydirt so to speak.  The=
re was a large group of migrants there including 50 American robins.  There=
 were numbers of warblers. The only raptor of the day a sharp-shinned hawk =
was also there.  Of course by that time I was rushed and needed to get home=
, so I was unable to identify most of what was present as the birds would n=
ot stay still long enough before fading into the foilage of the trees and t=
here were enough warblers that you could not tell if you were still on the =
same bird or not.  Besides yellow-rumped warbler I did confirm one black-th=
roated green warbler.  I'm sure there was an orange-crowned warbler as well=
, but it did not stay still long enough for positive ID.  I believe there a=
lso was a ruby-crowned kinglet, but that also did not stay still long enoug=
h.  I wish I would have had more time to check a few other areas out there =
which also showed bird activity in plenty.

James R. Hirtle

LaHave

--_000_BN6PR11MB1441AEE1B6767D1B5CBC4B9AB5D10BN6PR11MB1441namp_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
n to Western Head and back through Liverpool, Brooklyn, to Beach Meadows, a=
nd back through West Berlin and then home to LaHave.&nbsp; The highlight wa=
s the numbers of gannets passing by Western
 Head.&nbsp; I didn't stay long, but there were between 30-40 northern gann=
ets passing by at every five minute interval.&nbsp; There were very few mig=
rants down around Western Head.&nbsp; The only warbler species I found was =
yellow-rumped and their numbers were few.&nbsp; I did
 find 10 yellow-rumped warblers at Beach Meadows and there were three shore=
bird species there including black-bellied plover, lesser yellowlegs and gr=
eater yellowlegs.&nbsp; When passing back through Broad Cove I hit paydirt =
so to speak.&nbsp; There was a large group
 of migrants there including 50 American robins.&nbsp; There were numbers o=
f warblers.&nbsp;The only raptor of the day a sharp-shinned hawk was also t=
here.&nbsp; Of course by that time I was rushed and needed to get home, so =
I was unable to identify most of what was present
 as the birds would not stay still long enough before fading into the foila=
ge of the trees and there were enough warblers that you could not tell if y=
ou were still on the same bird or not.&nbsp; Besides yellow-rumped warbler =
I did confirm one black-throated green
 warbler.&nbsp; I'm sure there was an orange-crowned warbler as well, but i=
t did not stay still long enough for positive ID.&nbsp; I believe there als=
o was a ruby-crowned kinglet, but that also did not stay still long enough.=
&nbsp; I wish I would have had more time to check
 a few other areas out there which also showed bird activity in plenty.&nbs=
p; </p>

--_000_BN6PR11MB1441AEE1B6767D1B5CBC4B9AB5D10BN6PR11MB1441namp_--