[NatureNS] Last Evening's Weather

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 08:11:04 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a114e1932396976053f865782

I thought the weather last evening was quite dramatic. As the second period
of heavy rain began to move out, about 5:45 PM, it was obvious that
conditions were perfect for a rainbow. It was still raining hard but the
low sun was shining almost clear from the SW. Sure enough, we had great
views of a complete bow (and some double) that reached the ground on both
ends. I have two photos.

This seems to have been sort of a false end to the system. The sky had
completely cleared but then, at 6:35 PM, as I drove down the Gaspereau
Valley W of Gaspereau, I noticed another couple stopped, photographing the
sky. Kudos to them ! I looked back over my right shoulder and noticed this
massive horizon-to-horizon cloud front moving down the Valley W to E. I
pulled off and got 3 shots on an iPhone. They only begin to capture how
dramatic this was. I suspect it was dozens of km long, N to S, and was
moving very quickly. It swept down the Valley from the photo location, to
directly over us, in something like a minute. The wind picked up very
quickly. If this had been anywhere W of Quebec, I might have been headed
for a ditch or a cellar. I have two photos following the rainbow photos.

https://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Glory-Photos/i-pLVrsLQ/A

Regards,
Rick Whitman

[...]

n.smugmug.com/Nature/Glory-Photos/i-pLVrsLQ/A">https://rickwhitman.smugmug.=