[NatureNS] Brown Booby redux

From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 18:37:31 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--94eb2c1188b85171f3054007c884

Sounds very fun! I might head up tomorrow:)
Helene

On Oct 29, 2016 6:15 PM, "Eric Mills" <E.Mills@dal.ca> wrote:

> A growing group of birders watched the Strait of Canso Brown Booby=E2=80=
=8E on the
> causeway rocks just S of the lighthouse until about 2:30, when it took of=
> and very purposefully flew N across the Strait to Aulds Cove to join a
> flock of feeding Gannets.
>
> It appears that the best=E2=80=8E strategy for searchers coming from the =
mainland
> is to check Aulds Cove first from near the weigh station, and failing the=
re
> cross the causeway to the lighthouse and camp there for a while, looking =
on
> the water and also on the rocks, where it can be very hard to spot. It ha=
> also been seen near the Cove Motel.
>
> Along with the booby, many of us also saw a Lesser Black-backed Gull
> juvenile, Harlequin Ducks, a leather- back turtle, at least 2 ocean
> sunfish, harbour porpoises, white-sided dolphins, and a grey seal along
> with the Strait usuals for this time of year.
>
> Eric
>
> Eric L. Mills
> Lower Rose Bay
> Lunenburg Co., Nova Scotia
> Canada

--94eb2c1188b85171f3054007c884

Helene </p>
:15 PM, &quot;Eric Mills&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:E.Mills@dal.ca">E.Mill=
s@dal.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex">

=80=8E on the causeway rocks just S of the lighthouse until about 2:30, whe=
n it took off and very purposefully flew N across the Strait to Aulds Cove =
to join a flock of feeding Gannets.=C2=A0</div>
-serif"><br>
-serif">It appears that the best=E2=80=8E strategy for searchers coming fro=
m the mainland is to check Aulds Cove first from near the weigh station, an=
d failing there cross the causeway to the lighthouse
 and camp there for a while, looking on the water and also on the rocks, wh=
ere it can be very hard to spot. It has also been seen near the Cove Motel.=
-serif"><br>
-serif">Along with the booby, many of us also saw a Lesser Black-backed Gul=
l juvenile, Harlequin Ducks, a leather- back turtle, at least 2 ocean sunfi=
sh, harbour porpoises, white-sided dolphins,
 and a grey seal along with the Strait usuals for this time of year.</span>=
Lower=C2=A0Rose=C2=A0Bay<br>
Lunenburg=C2=A0Co.,=C2=A0Nova=C2=A0Scotia=C2=A0<br>
Canada</div>

--94eb2c1188b85171f3054007c884--