[NatureNS] harvesting butternuts ?

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 08:02:12 -0300

Nancy,
  many thanks for the tip re drying butternuts. So, all it takes is
patience.. Yes, butternuts sucker easily. But they germinate easily, too.
Unfortunately they get grazed, by parties unknown, a lot. The butternut tree
growing in the woods near Crousetown in Lunenburg County: Is it located at
an abandoned homestead? I do wonder how it got planted there.
   Butternut populations throughout its natural range (NE USA, southern
Ontario and Quebec) have been devastated by the butternut canker, a fungal
disease. In 1998 the disease has been found in the separate N.B. population,
but N.S. still appears to be canker-free. So it is extremely important not
to inadvertently spread the disease from N.B. to N.S.
   Dusan Soudek