[NatureNS] Big Snails

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:17:57 -0500

On 11/10/2016 10:56 AM, Dusan Soudek wrote:

>   why the "mystery" in the name of the Chinese Mystery Snail?

* the "mystery" is where all the baby snails come from - answered by
their family name "Viviperidae."

> Are they
> edible (to humans?)? They sure look big enough to be eaten, like
> periwinkles...

* yes they're edible and moderately tasty:

7 September 2014 - Canada: Ontario: Renfrew County: Black Bay at Melody
Lane, 6.28 km WSW Petawawa. (25m waypoint), 31F/14, 45.87005N 77.35190W
TIME: 1518-1535. AIR TEMP: 22°C, sunny, breezy. HABITAT: sandy rocky
clearwater lake at boat-pullups & cottage lawns. OBSERVER: Frederick W.
Schueler, Aleta Karstad Schueler. 2014/271/ba, Cipangopaludina chinensis
(Oriental Mystery Snail) (Mollusca). 22 adult, forage, specimen. taken
alive and retained to cook. 2014 Oct 03/0921 at Alberta Highway
41/Sounding Creek: fasted for a month with periodic changes of water -
froze overnight - sure smell muddy when they're cooking - digestive
glands mostly retained in shells - 2 babies came out shelled - less
developed ones crunched - flavourless or subtle flavour - fried up with
Italian seasoning and butter - take a lot of chewing - taste like very
very mild liverwurst - a few minor crunches of retained embryos.

In some populations they're so covered with algae that we've been
hesitant to cook them.

If anyone knows of more populations in the Maritimes, please get photos
or, better, specimens to Andrew at the NSM.

fred.

--
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
            Fragile Inheritance Natural History