[NatureNS] Why the Gray Jay Comes to You for Food

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 09:52:51 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01D24181.871AE8C0

At the time when the people first came upon "our land", the animals and the
people spoke the same language. The people needed guidance from the Creator
about how to survive on the land. The bird, uishkatshan, offered to fly up
to the Creator to seek advice on their behalf. Each morning uishkatshan flew
to the Creator and came back with guidance about how to hunt the moose, trap
the beaver, make clothing, build shelter, and prepare foods.

When the people had all the wisdom they needed to live in a right and
harmonious relationship with the land, they wished to give a gift to
uishkatshan for acting as messenger from the Creator. The bird, uishkatshan,
said that a gift was not needed but the people insisted. So uishkatshan
proposed that each time they hunt in the forest, they can leave a portion of
what they have hunted or gathered for uishkatshan.

Thus, the people adopted this custom, and each time uishkatshan came for
food at their camps, it reminded the people of their sacred relationship
with the Creator and the land that supported them.

Based on an Innu creation story that I heard many years ago. Go here
<http://www.nametauinnu.ca/en/glossary/uishkatshan>  to see uishkatshan.

May we also learn from uishkatshan how to live in a right relationship with
our land.

John

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01D24181.871AE8C0

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Book Antiqua";
	panose-1:2 4 6 2 5 3 5 3 3 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:8.0pt;
	margin-left:0cm;
	line-height:106%;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
p.Paragraph, li.Paragraph, div.Paragraph
	{mso-style-name:Paragraph;
	mso-style-priority:99;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:6.0pt;
	margin-left:0cm;
	text-indent:36.0pt;
	line-height:150%;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Book Antiqua",serif;
	color:black;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DParagraph><span =
lang=3DEN-US>At the time when the people first came upon &#8220;our =
land&#8221;, the animals and the people spoke the same language. The =
people needed guidance from the Creator about how to survive on the =
land. The bird, uishkatshan, offered to fly up to the Creator to seek =
advice on their behalf. Each morning uishkatshan flew to the Creator and =
came back with guidance about how to hunt the moose, trap the beaver, =
make clothing, build shelter, and prepare foods.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DParagraph><span lang=3DEN-US>When the people had all the wisdom =
they needed to live in a right and harmonious relationship with the =
land, they wished to give a gift to uishkatshan for acting as messenger =
from the Creator. The bird, uishkatshan, said that a gift was not needed =
but the people insisted. So uishkatshan proposed that each time they =
hunt in the forest, they can leave a portion of what they have hunted or =
gathered for uishkatshan.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DParagraph><span lang=3DEN-US>Thus, the people adopted this =
custom, and each time uishkatshan came for food at their camps, it =
reminded the people of their sacred relationship with the Creator and =
the land that supported them.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:0cm'><span =
lang=3DEN-US><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:0cm'><span lang=3DEN-US>Based on an Innu creation =
story that I heard many years ago. Go <a =
href=3D"http://www.nametauinnu.ca/en/glossary/uishkatshan">here</a> to =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;line-height:106%;font-family:"Book =
Antiqua",serif'>May we also learn from uishkatshan how to live in a =
right relationship with our land.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =