[NatureNS] Isle Haute CBC interview Bill Casey

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 18:14:24 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--94eb2c1b1102aac0270541d6fb27

I went there and camped one weekend in July 3 years ago. Not the best time
for birding, but interesting nevertheless. We only saw a few common birds
such as Redstarts, B-C chickadees etc. but also Peregrines and Bald eagles
that we suspected were nesting. We didn't see or hear any signs of Leach's
storm petrels, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. There are people
in the biology dept. at Acadia who have done studies there, and they would
have the greatest knowledge. Dan Conlan, who is with one of the museums in
Halifax (and might be on this list - I don't know) knows as much as anyone,
if not more, and might have more to add.  However, it's a neat place with a
lot of native and other history, interesting geology, and certainly at
least one unique small mammal and probably some unique plant life. on the
principle that the more land that can be conserved the better, I would
support its conservation.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

--94eb2c1b1102aac0270541d6fb27

ot the best time for birding, but interesting nevertheless. We only saw a f=
ew common birds such as Redstarts, B-C chickadees etc. but also Peregrines =
and Bald eagles that we suspected were nesting. We didn&#39;t see or hear a=
ny signs of Leach&#39;s storm petrels, but that doesn&#39;t mean they weren=
&#39;t there. There are people in the biology dept. at Acadia who have done=
 studies there, and they would have the greatest knowledge. Dan Conlan, who=
 is with one of the museums in Halifax (and might be on this list - I don&#=
39;t know) knows as much as anyone, if not more, and might have more to add=
.=C2=A0 However, it&#39;s a neat place with a lot of native and other histo=
ry, interesting geology, and certainly at least one unique small mammal and=
 probably some unique plant life. on the principle that the more land that =
can be conserved the better, I would support its conservation.<div><br></di=
>On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Ken McKenna <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:kenmcken54@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">kenmcken54@eastlink.ca=
:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
Hi all<br>
Just listening to Bill Casey interview on CBC and my ears perked up at a co=
uple of things he said. First it is home to 300 species of birds. Surely th=
is is a political exaggeration. He also stated that the Leach&#39;s Storm-P=
etrel is endangered or something to that effect. In fact, Birdlife Internat=
ional has it in the category of least concern.<br>
Regardless it would be nice to have the isle preserved. I know some people =
in this forum have been there so maybe a comment or two about it might be i=
nteresting.<br>
Cheers<br>
Ken<br>
Sent from my iPad<br>
Sent from my iPad<br>
=3D"m_2249467697804848032gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature=
NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">s=

--94eb2c1b1102aac0270541d6fb27--