[NatureNS] The Taste of Black Walnut

From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 19:52:03 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--94eb2c122fae764e090543f77d6b

 we used to get them in KY and kids used to get stained fingers as they
played w the green fleshy, globe shaped  nuts. The inside nut was smokey
but not bitter.
We have a fruitcake recipe that requires black walnuts..Any leads?

On Dec 18, 2016 19:15, "Burkhard Plache" <burkhardplache@gmail.com> wrote:

> This October, I collected a few dozen black walnuts
> from two trees in Halifax. Today I cracked a few open,
> and found they tasted quite bitter.
>
> I was planning on planting a black walnut tree as a
> fruit tree, but now I have second thoughts.
>
> Is the bitter taste to be expected?
> Is there a possibility to make them more palatable?
>
> Thanks for any insight,
> Burkhard

--94eb2c122fae764e090543f77d6b

ned fingers as they played w the green fleshy, globe shaped =C2=A0nuts. The=
 inside nut was smokey but not bitter.<div dir=3D"auto">We have a fruitcake=
 recipe that requires black walnuts..Any leads?</div></div><div class=3D"gm=
ail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Dec 18, 2016 19:15, &quot;Burk=
hard Plache&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:burkhardplache@gmail.com" target=3D=
"_blank">burkhardplache@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><b=
lockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px =
#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">This October, I collected a few dozen black wa=
lnuts<br>
from two trees in Halifax. Today I cracked a few open,<br>
and found they tasted quite bitter.<br>
I was planning on planting a black walnut tree as a<br>
fruit tree, but now I have second thoughts.<br>
Is the bitter taste to be expected?<br>
Is there a possibility to make them more palatable?<br>
Thanks for any insight,<br>
Burkhard<br>

--94eb2c122fae764e090543f77d6b--