[NatureNS] The Taste of Black Walnut

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 21:44:55 -0400
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Burkhard,
   In 1983 I planted 10 Black Walnut nuts on my property in the Valley. They all grew into trees. This year I harvested a lawn tractor trailer full of nuts to clear my lawn.  I had planted the trees because I loved the Black Walnut cake than my grandmother used to make it for holidays (in Ohio) when I was young.  I hoped to make my own cake and I like the tree anyway.

  Yes Black Walnut meats area bitter and astringent but mixed in with a sweat cake, they produce a unique flavor. Not every likes them. I imagine that on sweet ice cream they might be good also.  My problem is the effort it takes to extract the nut meats from the hard, convoluted shell.

  Regarding the toxicity of the trees next to other trees; We have a row of three Black Walnuts and an Oak. I have not seen any effect on the oak. Another group are growing by another oak and shrubery without effect.

Larry

Larry Bogan
Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia
<larry@bogan.ca>