[NatureNS] The Taste of Black Walnut

From: Henk Kwindt <cbatl@bellaliant.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 21:14:19 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This is what i remember about walnuts:
As children we collected them every Fall. They are best when collected when they have fallen off the tree (as opposed to picking them), then the husk has often already split open.
The husk is very rich in tannin and as boys we would stain our hands on purpose to show other kids in school……! Kind of a macho thing I guess, similar to getting our hands yellow in the spring from the sulphur that was used to spray on the fruit trees.
After the husk was removed the nuts were dried for a couple of months. The fruit has a thin yellowish skin, (seed coat), which is very bitter when the nut is still fresh but can be removed if one has the patience for it, we often did as we didn’t want to wait a couple of months.
After drying, the thin skin turns brown and loses its bitterness.
Henk Kwindt, Cow Bay, NS.

next messa