[NatureNS] Public Oceanography Talk at Halifax Central Library

From: Burkhard Plache <burkhardplache@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 18:57:45 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

The Ocean Frontier Institute at Dalhousie is pleased to sponsor a
Public Lecture: A global array of robots observing the ocean.

Who: Dr. Ken Johnson; Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute

When: Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 6:30 PM

Where: Paul O’Regan Hall; Halifax Central Library, 5400 Spring Garden Road

Today, much of the ocean that covers 75% of our planet is remote and
seldom visited or observed. Our ability to detect changes in the ocean
that we believe are occurring - the warming of the water and increases
in acidity – is made difficult due to the lack of measurements on a
global scale. In collaboration with satellite observing systems (which
are effective at detecting global patterns but only at the surface), a
global array of robotic sensing platforms is under development to meet
this challenge. At present, over 4000 robots are silently probing the
ocean depths and sending back critical data on changes in ocean
physics, biology and chemistry.

Dr. Ken Johnson is a leading world expert on the development of novel
ocean sensors for use on robotic platforms and will discuss these
efforts and future plans.

Sponsors: The Ocean Frontier Institute, Dalhousie University; the
Bedford Institute of Oceanography; the Nova Scotia Institute of
Science, the Marine Environmental Observation, Prediction and Response
Network, the Institute for Ocean Research Enterprise, the Centre for
Ocean Ventures & Entrepreneurship, the Canadian Meteorological and
Oceanographic Society, and Sea-Bird Scientific.