[NatureNS] advice on "grit" for birds

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:39:11 -0400

--------------FA6B904DAFFCEB79656ECB0C

I have noticed the Song Sparrows on my back deck almost daily.  There is
no food offered there (it is at the back of the yard).  Perhaps they are
getting grit that falls from my roof shingles?

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 1/10/2017 5:31 PM, Bernard Burke wrote:
> I discovered only yesterday that my residence has a significant grit
> supply. I noticed numerous goldfinch clinging  and pecking like
> insects to the brick walls surrounding my apartment deck,  for which I
> hadn't recalled seeing before and admittingly initially unaware of the
> reason for this behavior until after I inquired via a search engine.
>
> Bernard Burke
> Dartmouth
>
> On 01/10/17 04:01 PM, *Andrew Stadnyk * <Andrew.Stadnyk@Dal.Ca> wrote:
>>
>> I am seeking advice on whether, since snow now covers the ground, we
>> should try provide "grit" for our backyard birds and if so, is there
>> a suitable product readily available? I noticed the doves were often
>> pecking at the sand between my patio stones in the summer- can't do
>> that now.
>>

>> Andy Stadnyk
>>
>> Lower Sackville

--------------FA6B904DAFFCEB79656ECB0C

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      deck almost daily.  There is no food offered there (it is at the
      back of the yard).  Perhaps they are getting grit that falls from
      my roof shingles?<br>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      type="cite">I discovered only yesterday that my residence has a
      significant grit supply. I noticed numerous goldfinch clinging
       and pecking like insects to the brick walls surrounding my
      apartment deck,  for which I hadn't recalled seeing before and
      admittingly initially unaware of the reason for this behavior
      until after I inquired via a search engine.
          <Andrew.Stadnyk@Dal.Ca> wrote:</span>
&lt;BN6PR03MB2546E83CC0AD77FE876231C6E4670@BN6PR03MB2546.namprd03.prod.outlook.com"
          class="iwcQuote" style="border-left: 1px solid #00F;
          padding-left: 13px; margin-left: 0;" type="cite">
                  http-equiv="Content-Type">
                  <tbody>
style="font-size:12pt;color:#000000;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
                            now covers the ground, we should try provide
                            "grit" for our backyard birds and if so, is
                            there a suitable product readily available?
                            I noticed the doves were often pecking at
                            the sand between my patio stones in the
                            summer- can't do that now.</p>
                  </tbody>

--------------FA6B904DAFFCEB79656ECB0C--