[NatureNS] White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 16:08:29 -0400

There have been several large groups (around 30-50) goldfinches moving
through the yard today. Feeding heavily and quickly they are up and heading
westward. Also we have two Cardinals, just dropping in from time to time,
one adult male, one is a juvenile male.
There are also Blue Jays (I got to 10 before everyone took flight) that have
travelling with them 5 Red winged blackbirds, males and a juvenile as well
as what appears to be a female, 2 Grackles, a smattering of Starlings. The
usuals are Chickadees, a fair number of Juncos, about 20 to 30, and  a few
Sparrows: Song and White Throats and a Swamp.
Woodpeckers include what appears to be a Downy pair and also Hairy, two
males and three females. White breasted Nuthatch is constantly nattering to
someone so at least 2, and then there are Mourning Doves. It gets almost
creepy when they keep moving. I counted close to 60, before they took to
wing.
There is a predator bird, not a Sharpie today.  It is very fast and deadly.
Flies hover zooms in on target and boom!! many feather in the air.

There is a Kingfisher (or more)  flying back and forth over the field down
by the golf course. There was a family of them in behind the far parking lot
at the lodge in the bank of trees not far from the footbridge.  Crows are
either here constantly or not here at all it seems. Today I haven't seen
them patrolling as they usually do.
Everything seems very flighty, edgy. Any movement puts them up. We have a
couple Squirrels and a very blocky looking Vole. I have not see the Chipmunk
this week but after that heavy rain it was here.
Best regards

Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point,
Nova Scotia , Canada
(902) 683-2393 MargMillard.ca
Facebook: White Point Artist, Marg Millard.