[NatureNS] 36th CKC Eagles/Raptors Count, Feb. 5/17,

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 22:41:33 -0400

this year=9

------=_NextPart_000_0126_01D280CA.2AFBF470

Thanks for sharing this update, Jim!  What an incredible event.

Watching 40 eagles all dine at once is quite a spectacle.

434 eagles ... one has to wonder!  Is there a threshold?

I'm already concerned about our loon chick survivorship this year!  Ykes.

I've been recently scouting out potential sites for some loon nesting
platforms on the Annapolis River, where large water fluctuations make
nesting pretty well impossible, but there should be lots of fish for loons
to feed young.  The platforms will rise and fall with the water, and there
has been good success.  It's been suggested that we should try building
little canopies over the platform to deter eagles and other predators.  This
latest report provides added inspiration.  Thanks!

Donna