[NatureNS] RE: NatureNS] murder of crows

From: Paul Ruggles <cpruggles@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 14:36:07 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-1--595456338

Thanks Lance and Nick. I feel pretty sure they are all roosting at the =
Mount.
Paul.

On 2017-02-08, at 7:42 PM, Nick Hill wrote:

> Paul
> I taught w Fred Harrington at the Mount and Fred, a behavioural =
ecologist, taught Ethology and one of the student projects was to look =
at where the crows went.=20
> Fred is retired but still around.
> Nick
>=20
> On Feb 8, 2017 17:55, "Laviolette, Lance" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com> =
wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>=20
> I can't speak specifically about the 'Mount' roost but all the crow =
roosts I'm familiar with involve extensive pre-roosting movement and =
temporary gathering points. Sometimes these pre-roosting movements go =
off in many directions so it is possible that this is what happened in =
this case. If so, the crows would indeed double back.
>=20
> Having said this, there are a number of reasons the main roost might =
fragment. Predation, disturbance, weather and the advance towards spring =
are all reasons that come to mind.