[NatureNS] feeder birds

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 09:49:36 -0300

    &lt;DIV&gt;&lt;B

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01D29B15.F5C8ED10

It really was a popular day yesterday at the feeders (and similar =
today).  None of us, feathered or otherwise, are accustomed to the =
sudden drop in temps and high winds that were experienced since =
it=E2=80=99s been a pretty smooth coast for most of the winter.   I dove =
into the woods to get out of the biting winds yesterday afternoon.  =
It=E2=80=99s amazing what a difference forests makes on a cold windy =
day.  Glad I don=E2=80=99t live on the prairies. =20

=20

The sap sucker was back at the suet feeder.  He=E2=80=99s very =
predictable when the temp drops.  For a while, my feeder area was very =
colorful with a male and female cardinal on the ground beneath, and the =
gorgeous red flashes of the male sapsucker feeding from the last bit of =
suet low to the ground.  I made up a fresh batch of suet with black oil =
sunflower seeds mixed in (delicious) and hung it out to ensure everyone =
had a rich caloric intake to get through the cold afternoon and night =
ahead.  I made a second batch this AM, and the chickadees immediately =
began to vocalize the news of the new suet being hung in a sheltered =
spot.

=20

Similar to Marg=E2=80=99s observations, there are no purple finches =
around, but I have gold finches a plenty.  Considering what purple =
finches consume, I suspect the population will be extra low for a while, =
aside from its usual irregularities as a winter feeder visitor and its =
reported declines elsewhere from House finch invasions.  I was observing =
air photo imagery under DNR=E2=80=99s Harvest Plans Map Viewer a few =
days ago.  It is clear that we are flattening nearly all the remaining =
mature conifer forest in NS that would have supplied much of the natural =
sources of seed.  With 55 year harvest rotations set up on Crown land, =
it=E2=80=99s not certain what natural food supply will remain for the =
next while.  Trees need time to mature before producing any significant =
quantity of seed.  It=E2=80=99s a dire situation we are creating for =
wildlife.  Meanwhile, the =E2=80=9Cfield and roadside junco and =
goldfinch crews=E2=80=9D seem perfectly fine. =20

=20

I=E2=80=99ve heard valid and science-based criticisms against =
maintaining bird feeders  through the years, and how this can do more =
harm than good for birds.  We know the feeders can spread diseases if we =
don=E2=80=99t sanitize them, and they can set birds up for easy =
predation.  It=E2=80=99s perhaps mostly a selfish pleasure watching =
birds at feeders, I suppose, bringing nature closer to us.  But with the =
sudden removal of food sources normally obtained from forest resources, =
I wonder if perhaps it=E2=80=99s more acceptable for the next little =
while.

=20

Other thoughts, opposing or otherwise, are welcome.

=20

Donna

=20

=20