[NatureNS] Flying squirrel in White Point

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 15:19:09 -0400

On 3/29/2017 12:43 PM, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
> A year or so ago a pair landed on the screen on my bedroom window -
> late at night. I could see them against the moon. They made a big noise
> running around the screen! I suspect they are more common than we realize.

* Flying Squirrels are one of those species - like non-Starnose moles
and Water Shrews - whose abundance is unknown because they're not
vulnerable to our ordinary modes of observation. You can sometimes find
their flat sail-like tails on the ground or a road where an Owl has had
its way with one of them.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
            Fragile Inheritance Natural History
for our annual letter, click '2016' at http://pinicola.ca/aboutus.htm
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
    on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156°N 75.70095°W