[NatureNS] last feederwatch survey and summary of the winter

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 15:45:46 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--f403043608340a552b054c479314

All,

This past weekend was the last one for participating in this year's Project
FeederWatch. In summary, this had to be the least diverse year at my
feeders, ever. I have been at my current location for 16 years, and have
never had such homogeneous results. My home is in the woods...very rural.
Here are the typical weekly results...the week to week variation was so
little that there's no point in graphing.

Mourning Dove 1 (and it only arrived in the last half of the survey)
Downy Woodpecker 3-4
Hairy Woodpecker 1-2
Blue Jay 12 or so
American Crow 2
Black-capped Chickadee 10 or so

Over the winter I had two or three visits by Evening Grosbeaks, and very
early on I think I had a goldfinch. The lack of finches this year was
disturbing.

For the first time in over a decade, I did not put out carrion...even Bird
Studies Canada commented on my lack of eagles in my reports! I missed the
ravens and other non-typical feeder birds that the carrion would have
lured. Despite this, on Saturday I had an eagle on the ground in my garden,
right at my compost bins. I had not recently put in any chicken bones or
other meal left overs which would have explained this visit. It was
probably one of "my" eagles from last year which was checking things out up
close, just to make sure. And, more weirdly, I had up to 23 crows on the
weekend...I can only think that it was "my" crows' turn to host their
Annual General Meeting...there was nothing in the compost to attract them,
either...though a few did root around in there.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--f403043608340a552b054c479314

 for participating in this year&#39;s Project FeederWatch. In summary, this=
 had to be the least diverse year at my feeders, ever. I have been at my cu=
rrent location for 16 years, and have never had such homogeneous results. M=
y home is in the woods...very rural. Here are the typical weekly results...=
the week to week variation was so little that there&#39;s no point in graph=
had two or three visits by Evening Grosbeaks, and very early on I think I h=
ad a goldfinch. The lack of finches this year was disturbing.</div><div><br=
..even Bird Studies Canada commented on my lack of eagles in my reports! I =
missed the ravens and other non-typical feeder birds that the carrion would=
 have lured. Despite this, on Saturday I had an eagle on the ground in my g=
arden, right at my compost bins. I had not recently put in any chicken bone=
s or other meal left overs which would have explained this visit. It was pr=
obably one of &quot;my&quot; eagles from last year which was checking thing=
s out up close, just to make sure. And, more weirdly, I had up to 23 crows =
on the weekend...I can only think that it was &quot;my&quot; crows&#39; tur=
n to host their Annual General Meeting...there was nothing in the compost t=
o attract them, either...though a few did root around in there.</div><div><=
ta-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">_________________________________<br>RF La=

--f403043608340a552b054c479314--