[NatureNS] Fox Sparrow reports, Great Blue Herons, Common Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:05:16 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01D2ADE3.5C7F3E30

Carmel, James, and all,

I had one Song Sparrow all winter at my feeders. There has been no =
singing yet so presumably it is a female. Usually by this time of year, =
more Song Sparrows would have arrived but no prospective mates so far. =
The single male Downy Woodpecker and Red-breasted Nuthatch that wintered =
here have both found a female companion recently. The White-breasted =
Nuthatch, despite his constant singing lately, is still alone. His =
prospects may not be a promising as the female Song Sparrow.=20

Looking at the northeastern US radars for this first week of April, =
there was some moderate migration that got as far north as Pennsylvania, =
Southern NY state, and New Jersey on Sunday night, April 2-3. On that =
night the northwest winds dominating our region moved north enough for a =
southwest flow up to those parts. However, migrants heading here are =
still blocked by weather events. There was an upper-level counter =
clockwise flow over the Gulf of Maine last night, so it could be =
worthwhile today to look for some strays in southwestern Nova Scotia. If =
any are found, their origin would most likely be New Jersey where there =
were small numbers moving last night.

John

=20