[NatureNS] Owl Monitoring Route and Osprey

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 14:48:51 +0000

--_000_DM5PR1101MB210643A33472BFC9D91A69D9B5070DM5PR1101MB2106_

I spotted my official first osprey for this spring yesterday.  I'm sure I h=
ad one three weeks ago during an ice storm, but again I was paying more att=
ention to my driving then to the bird that I saw in flight, which was shape=
d right and had the right wingbeat of an osprey.  Anyhow, there was an offi=
cial on at West LaHave last night.  It had not been present in the morning =
or afternoon, but when I drove past around 20:00 it was on the nest and the=
 nest which had been totally removed was half rebuilt.  So this occurred be=
tween 18:00 and 20:00.

Dorothy Poole and I ran my first of three owl monitoring routes that I do l=
ast night.  This route was through Lapland/Laconia.  We ended up with eight=
 barred owls with owls on five out of 10 stops.  I must say that the wind w=
as far greater than had been predicted by www.weathernetwork<http://www.wea=
thernetwork>.com.  It was a strong steady wind as well at the end of the ro=
ute.  So strong at the first stop or two, then it died down for four or so =
stops and then increased to strong and steady, to the point where you could=
 hear it blowing through the trees and it added extra sound.

We saw two of the owls.  The one owl I believe would have landed on Dorothy=
 had she not turned her head.  The owl was coming in for a landing and I th=
ink that it thought Dorothy was a post.  It was close enough to me that it =
scared the daylights out of me and even closer to Dorthy before it realised=
 that she was not some place to land and it swooped off into the trees.

Of note - Wood frogs at every stop except for two and spring peepers at eve=
ry stop except for one.

We always see or hear other bird species on this route.  No other birds wer=
e present.  This route is normally run around April 10 or 11 and we always =
hear a load of common loons.  I have been running this route long term.  Lo=
ons were absent altogether.  This suggests that they have not come inland t=
o the lakes yet.  My observations of loons along the coastline seems to bac=
k this up.

James R. Hirtle

LaHave

--_000_DM5PR1101MB210643A33472BFC9D91A69D9B5070DM5PR1101MB2106_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;" dir=3D"ltr">
sure I had one three weeks ago during an ice storm, but again I was paying =
more attention to my driving then to the bird that I saw in flight, which w=
as shaped right and had the right wingbeat
 of an osprey. &nbsp;Anyhow, there was an official on at West LaHave last n=
ight. &nbsp;It had not been present in the morning or afternoon, but when I=
 drove past around 20:00 it was on the nest and the nest which had been tot=
ally removed was half rebuilt. &nbsp;So this occurred
 between 18:00 and 20:00.</p>
o last night. &nbsp;This route was through Lapland/Laconia. &nbsp;We ended =
up with eight barred owls with owls on five out of 10 stops. &nbsp;I must s=
ay that the wind was far greater than had been
 predicted by <a href=3D"http://www.weathernetwork" class=3D"OWAAutoLink" i=
d=3D"LPlnk764194" previewremoved=3D"true">
www.weathernetwork</a>.com. &nbsp;It was a strong steady wind as well at th=
e end of the route. &nbsp;So strong at the first stop or two, then it died =
down for four or so stops and then increased to strong and steady, to the p=
oint where you could hear it blowing through
 the trees and it added extra sound. &nbsp;</p>
 Dorothy had she not turned her head. &nbsp;The owl was coming in for a lan=
ding and I think that it thought Dorothy was a post. &nbsp;It was close eno=
ugh to me that it scared the daylights out of me
 and even closer to Dorthy before it realised that she was not some place t=
o land and it swooped off into the trees. &nbsp;</p>
every stop except for one. &nbsp;</p>
irds were present. &nbsp;This route is normally run around April 10 or 11 a=
nd we always hear a load of common loons. &nbsp;I have been running this ro=
ute long term. &nbsp;Loons were absent altogether. &nbsp;This
 suggests that they have not come inland to the lakes yet. &nbsp;My observa=
tions of loons along the coastline seems to back this up. &nbsp;</p>

--_000_DM5PR1101MB210643A33472BFC9D91A69D9B5070DM5PR1101MB2106_--